• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Shakedown Cruise

aleigh

Took the LMTV out to Agua Fria for something of a shakedown cruise. Just a few nagging issues, but overall, really great.

Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/albums/72157661072307514

- The seats are torture devices. I have extra seat cushions but decided to try it as-intended. Wow.

- Weak circuit breakers. Marker light one kept popping (25A) so found a 20A from some unused thing - arctic heater / crane, neither of which I have, and swapped them. Solved the problem, so the other breaker is tripping early for sure. I'm half tempted just to replace the entire lot of breakers and relays.

- Related: The day before, had to clean the contacts on the auto-reset breaker for the headlights, it was tripping for no reason. That solved it.

- Pretty sure I have no low beams - no headlights when drive illumination is chosen - but highbeams work.

- No CTIS and I sorely missed it - I know some guys hate it, but, I don't - parts are on order for that

- No place to plug in the GPS or charge anything. Big problem! Need to provision 12V circuits.

- SO MUCH ROOM IN THE CAB coming off a Jeep. It's awesome.

- Pretty sure I actually couldn't change a tire if I tried - take your pick of issues. No cheater pipe / impact, guessing the nuts are all frozen on anyways. If the hydros for the tire crane even work. Probably need to actually practice this. I need to sew up a new webbing harness too, guy has it like ratchet strapped on there.

- Too wide to fit through some BLM gates!

- Girls like riding in the back, it makes them giggle!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone on another LMTV thread posted a video of taking the spare tire down. Not sure which thread but within the last couple of weeks.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there are 12v wiring that you can tap into in the cab. so a cigarette lighter adapter is possible. Might be beneficial to attempt a tire change at home prior to getting a flat on the road. Ensure your bulbs are good for the headlights before replacing, could be burned out or other, remember they are 12v when you go buy replacements, not 24v like your Jeep.

Sounds like you either got a lot of much or corrosion in the cab/wiring... probably would be smart to do a full look over and check to see if there's any other underlying issues.

aleigh

I had a look corrosion wise and it looked fine at a glance but I have not taken the dash apart yet. Everything else on the truck is working A-OK electrically. Right now I just think some of the breakers are old and tired - I've seen it before in other applications, they don't seem to last forever. I mean they are probably 20 years old right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks