• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV tires

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What about the Goodyear MVT’s? Any thoughts on tire pressure?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is 80psi on rears of a m915 at around 28,000mi. This is trailer towing usage with the tires. 2010 to 2015 date codes. They are starting to get their low depth tread cracks. This is a 475hp plus application

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my M1078 about 4500 miles on one trip with goodyear tires at 55 psi with even wear. Guessing, about a third of the tread wore off. Goodyears have heavier sidewalls and in my opinion should not be run at lower pressure. that trip was mostly backroads from TN through MO, to CO, UT, MT, WY, and the Dakotas back to TN on slow roads, no interstate speeds.

Reworked LMTV

I will probably open a HUGE can of worms here, but anyone had their tires retreaded? : ) Not that I would run retreads, given the supply of tires out there, but I was curious. It might not even be cost-effective. I see varying STRONG opinions on retreads. This is not an area that I know anything about, so don't go crazy on me about asking the question : )

coachgeo

Wes had been trying a company that re-manufactured tires using the mil ones as cores
yeah if recall right they do more than retread... they literally wrap the whole old tire core from sidewall to sidewall ... or something like that. A mention was made that this process is essentially how a new tire is made too.... just with a new belted core

Special T

I've been running retreads on my 1 ton pickup truck for a long time. Probably have 300k easy running retreads. 2 kinds or retreads. Pre cure is the style used on the commercial fleets of semi trucks and commercial vehicles. I have run these on the duals of my one ton forever. As the name implies they take a procured chunk of tread and glue it to the casing with some cushion gum( a kind of uncured rubber) then put it in an steam chamber to cure. Se one kind is a mould cure. This is an older method where the tire is buffed down and raw rubber is wrapped around the tire. It is placed in a clamshell mould inflated and cured with steam and pressure. In the USA it was the first way we retreated tires and was done on bias tires. This method is mostly used in offroad equipment tires like loaders graders and the like.

Tread Wright tires uses mould cure for pickup tires and retreads hummer tires. This method allows for the enveloping of rubber down the sidewall. This process on radial tires is slightly different than old Bias Ply tires and was developed in Europe. I have run this style as snow tires. It was old moulds designed for bias tires that fit a few radial passenger sizes. My results were mixed.

Procure tires wear better, cheaper and industry standard. Especially when we are talking 6x6 tires. Down side is the tread depth and void/tread gaps are smaller

Mould cure allow for more aggressive tread designs and rebranding due to how the new rubber flows over the shoulder of the tire. Traditionally these tires are harder to keep "in round" and balancing can be an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jonnyinutah

Hi Guys-

First off, let me apologize for posting on this thread, which I am sure is not the proper or best place to post. So bare with me. I work for a brand, we recently purchased a M1078. I've been driving around a fair amount, and I'd say my highway speed have been in the 60-65 range. I am up in a small town in Idaho (Ketchum) currently. I happened to be under the rig looking for any leaks, and happened to see this crack in the tire. It's probably about 6 inches long. It seems that there have been some issues with these Michelins blowing out? My question is this. I'm going to take the rig to a local tire shop and see if they can throw on the spare. Should I A) get a replacement for that one tire, or 2) get a set of the Goodyears all the way around? Also, should I not be driving 60-65mph on highway??
IMG_8070.jpg IMG_8042.JPG
View attachment 814490
View attachment 814491

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hi Guys-

First off, let me apologize for posting on this thread, which I am sure is not the proper or best place to post. So bare with me. I work for a brand, we recently purchased a M1078. I've been driving around a fair amount, and I'd say my highway speed have been in the 60-65 range. I am up in a small town in Idaho (Ketchum) currently. I happened to be under the rig looking for any leaks, and happened to see this crack in the tire. It's probably about 6 inches long. It seems that there have been some issues with these Michelins blowing out? My question is this. I'm going to take the rig to a local tire shop and see if they can throw on the spare. Should I A) get a replacement for that one tire, or 2) get a set of the Goodyears all the way around? Also, should I not be driving 60-65mph on highway??

View attachment 814490
View attachment 814491
Not on XMLs you shouldn't be. Most XMLs are 8 yrs or older at this point. Soft material tire.

Takes about 30mins to replace a tire on a beadlock wheel. Just make sure they clean the beadlock threads good before taking them off

Third From Texas

EDIT: see next post below

Nice rig ! Is that the former "Mule" truck that opens into a bandstand/display?

Yes, XMLs are prone to blowouts and under NO circumstances should that cracked tire be on the road much less at anything even remotely near highway speed. The XMLs are dangerous enough with blowing out and shredding, but that crack is a ticking timebomb in it's final seconds.

Toss the spare on asap and do the public and anyone driving that rig a solid and stay off the road until you get replacement tires.

I highly recommend swapping to Goodyears with as current of a date code as you can find. I saw a post a couple days back with some 2017's for sale (think he only had four left of the eight he was selling. Let me see if I can find it...

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Ah, I just noticed that those are *not* XLMs.

Those are ZXLs and a far better tire.

Toss the spare on for now, but make certain it is also a ZXL (easy way to tell is it simply won't say XML in thick print on the sidewall).

You can find ZXLs in a number of places. GovPlanet auctions off many each week. Search "395"

Third From Texas

Also search eBay.

I saw some " 46.8" Michelin XZL 395/85 R20 (Non-Plus) Surplus Military Truck Tires Full-Tread" tires for $300 ea

*ALWAYS inquire as to the date codes (newer, better).

Jonnyinutah

EDIT: see next post below

Nice rig ! Is that the former "Mule" truck that opens into a bandstand/display?

Yes, XMLs are prone to blowouts and under NO circumstances should that cracked tire be on the road much less at anything even remotely near highway speed. The XMLs are dangerous enough with blowing out and shredding, but that crack is a ticking timebomb in it's final seconds.

Toss the spare on asap and do the public and anyone driving that rig a solid and stay off the road until you get replacement tires.

I highly recommend swapping to Goodyears with as current of a date code as you can find. I saw a post a couple days back with some 2017's for sale (think he only had four left of the eight he was selling. Let me see if I can find it...
Yes, that is the former "Mule" truck- we are calling it the Kuhl Mule now. :). thanks for the input, I was able to get it to a shop and we trying to get the spare off, and the sliced tire off right now. I'd love it if you could pass on the info for those Goodyears. Appreciate it!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that cut XZL had blown out, all tires of that type would have probably gotten the blame! Or covid. :) My point it Michelins are not all disasters waiting to happen. Many of us have had decades of good use from older Michelins. Michelins can be abused just like any other brand but maybe more older Michelins have survived than other brands. Tire dates really are that important.

Third From Texas

Yes, that is the former "Mule" truck- we are calling it the Kuhl Mule now. :). thanks for the input, I was able to get it to a shop and we trying to get the spare off, and the sliced tire off right now. I'd love it if you could pass on the info for those Goodyears. Appreciate it!
PM incoming (they don't like links to good deals posted here, only vendors). LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks