• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Transmission Issues

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
What was your trans issue again? It's a big job to swap a trans in that truck. I have heard of people dropping the trans and being able to slide it sideways and out but it's tight.

Socommfg

I have several LMTV transmissions with converters in stock. under 1500 miles on them. I agree, Fluid capacity is extremely important and the throttle position switch will cause the transmission not to operate properly. The throttle MUST be in the LOW position.

samsneed

What was your trans issue again? It's a big job to swap a trans in that truck. I have heard of people dropping the trans and being able to slide it sideways and out but it's tight.
The ECU, control pad, wiring harness and engine speed sensor have all been replaced, transmission is still throwing code 56-33. According to the tm, I need to measure the main pressure in the transmission, since I don't have the computer, I'm either pulling the transmission or risking putting it into the shop and praying for an easy fix

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wandering neurons

In addition to my M1081, I've got an older RV with the MD3070 version of the Allison. I looked at my WTEC-II manual that I have, I had to troubleshoot DO NOT SHIFT in conjunction with some additional codes that were dependent on speed sensors. Good power and ground are critical for the ECU and the transmission. The MD3070 turbine and output speed sensors are outside the transmission and can be easily tested and replaced, maybe the same on the 3000.
The solution to my particular problem was to cut the three sets of sensor wires at the transmission and build a new shielded twisted-pair wire harness to the ECU to eliminate electrical noise that was causing my codes.
Also, it's not too hard to drop the valve solenoid body on this trans, that seems to be where a lot of other problems come from on the Allison trans. Clutches are pretty tough on these.
The LMTV uses a different model of Allison, your mileage may vary. Also check the IRV2.COM forum for instances of problems with this trans.

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We were able to get our MD3070 transmission out, but with great difficulty because of the frame crossmember at the back of the transfer case. Getting both ends of the transmission/TC free at the same time so we could drop it down was a bear. Not looking forward to trying to fit it back up there. Do you have any tips for making the transmission removal and reinstallation process easier?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So you are worker bee, machinist, planner, welder, rigger, draftsman, owner, figure it outer, publicist, + procurer, amongst other jobs.
How the heck did you figure the center of balance?

Your posts about "how I did LMTV transmission myself" needs to be a stickie, but I have not found that database.
Informative, to the point, wonderful post.
Thanks

Ronmar

So you are worker bee, machinist, planner, welder, rigger, draftsman, owner, figure it outer, publicist, + procurer, amongst other jobs.
How the heck did you figure the center of balance?

Your posts about "how I did LMTV transmission myself" needs to be a stickie, but I have not found that database.
Informative, to the point, wonderful post.
Thanks
The specs for the trans lifting fixture are in the manual...

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am an engineer and have a machine shop, but he’s absolutely correct the drawings are in the manual somewhere. I had them in my photo library so I thought they would be useful. They are spot on for the balance point. It makes the transmission float perfectly level. Sorry I haven’t posted earlier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks