• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV vs other military trucks - offroad

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine is currently stuck lockers I don't believe would have helped broke a bunch of 4 inch tow straps last night trying to move it with a Volvo 180 gave up going back with a hydraulic excavator on tracks so I can lift it and reposition it. I don't think the oe winch would have been much help but I'm now thinking 5 ton wrecker so I have access to the killer drag winch.
Yikes!! The wrecker or a HET. Hopefully your not too far out in the boonies.

snowtrac nome

15 miles off the road access to it is via a narrow road on a steep hillside above a creek drove over the top of a subterranean creek there is a lot of them out here under the tundra. I could only get the loader with in 150 feet and at that I almost sunk it

snowtrac nome

about 10 miles but on the positive side I just had a large caliber rifle for bear protection and no ruck combat load or body armor. going out tonight to pick up the dog will take a few photos, hopfully I can get a lowboy tomorrow to pull the track hoe out.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He drove over a subterranean stream, and the ground gave out and the truck fell in. He lives in permafrost country and it's how it is. Also he had better than a winch, he had another large truck and a giant bucket to yank on him, resulting in broken tow straps. Only way to avoid such situations is to stick to pavement if there were some. As he had posted he needs a large excavator to lift and re position the wheels on firmer ground. Not going to be an easy task. First you have to trailer one in as far as you can (semi truck with a low boy trailer) then crawl it to the site at a couple miles an hour, use big lifting slings and pray the windshield survives, I'd strap plywood over it somehow. Once in stuck all the equipment has to come back out, and you still have to find a way to get your truck to where you were going because you have a job to do. I hope favors are owed and can get out of this situation without breaking the bank.

Only way to get through those things is with a low ground pressure vehicle, something like a snowtrac (sorry I couldn't resist lol)

Aernan

DriveDarrel: That's solid advice. I would like a EGT gage to see how much it climbs when the truck is going uphill and use it as a barometer of workload. I do plan on doing water/methanol injection in the hopes of getting some improved fuel economy with no change to the fuel injection system. I'm sure the vehicle is plenty fast I'm looking to tune for better mileage.

I'm not sure what you mean by overhaul schedule. From my reading the 3116 block is disposed of once used or bored out. I don't believe it has replaceable piston sleeves. I think some newer vehicles moved to the cat c-7 which is in vehicle rebuildable. It's also a higher output power plant.

One possible tuning option would be to change the turbo so it makes more boost at lower RPM. Modern twin scroll, VNT and dual turbo setups can turn up the base torque at low RPM significantly.

Aernan

I have been watching some Canadian big wrecker shows. They are using a new product that is a giant air bag. They are using like 4-5 of them to help lift the trailer and using a rotator to pick it the rest of the way. The bags don't have good traction on snow but they seem to be able to lift a giant load. You might want to see if something like that could help get you unstuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MjVTewSEMw