• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV vs. Steyr on a hill

Kbarnes0

Does the cab of the Steyr sit higher than the Fmtvs? I seen a video of a build and it looks like there are risers from the frame at the tilt/pivot points.

coachgeo

Totally different suspension, so likely yes.
actually don't think they sit higher... they just have no cab suspension (or little to none?).... thus why you see risers. The risers hold up the cab essentially replacing our air bags with a riser holding cab at the upper limit? where on ours the bags hold up the cab and limit its updown travel while offering suspension ride along the way For the 12m18 (our direct cousin you could say) There is a kit sold by the premier fab/upgrade company for 12m18's to change risers to coil over shocks instead.

Last edited:

ramdough

actually don't think they sit higher... they just have no cab suspension (or little to none?).... thus why you see risers. The risers hold up the cab essentially replacing our air bags with a riser holding cab at the upper limit? where on ours the bags hold up the cab and limit its updown travel while offering suspension ride along the way For the 12m18 (our direct cousin you could say) There is a kit sold by the premier fab/upgrade company for 12m18's to change risers to coil over shocks instead.

They do have a cab suspension.

Attachments

coachgeo

They do have a cab suspension.
thanks.... could not remember if they had "none at all"....... or the guys who have them were saying " they might as well "have none at all" cause the ride is stiff and rigid. Many add air ride seats cause the ride is pretty uncomfortable for an expedition truck.

Reworked LMTV

A review of the specs shows that it IS in fact taller.

Last edited:

Kbarnes0

Did a little digging on the specs. Looks like the 12m18 cab sits 15" taller. At 10' 5". The springs being taller and potential cab mounted higher I believe.

I like the extra clearance for the front tire, and I like the rear part of the front fenders.

Is there a common source for parts, other than ebay? Like a direct site?

coachgeo

Did a little digging on the specs. Looks like the 12m18 cab sits 15" taller. At 10' 5". The springs being taller and potential cab mounted higher I believe.

I like the extra clearance for the front tire, and I like the rear part of the front fenders.

Is there a common source for parts, other than ebay? Like a direct site?
no sure what you are asking..... site for Steyr or site for FMTV's? If Steyr..... you might want to ask that on a Steyr discussion board. Your probably better off having what you want fabbed for increased cab height... Looks conceptually simple; but in reality may end up very complex. (will the whole wire harness need to be 2" -3" longer for example... so it is not stressed???) While at it have them fab in mounts for rear half of front fender you would like to fit and get only that from a steyr vendor?

Kbarnes0

no sure what you are asking..... site for Steyr or site for FMTV's? If Steyr..... you might want to ask that on a Steyr discussion board. Your probably better off having what you want fabbed for increased cab height... Looks conceptually simple; but in reality may end up very complex. (will the whole wire harness need to be 2" -3" longer for example... so it is not stressed???) While at it have them fab in mounts for rear half of front fender you would like to fit and get only that from a steyr vendor?
Yea, was referring to Steyr parts, cab stuff from a European website. Didn't know if it was something common.

I'll probably fab what I need. Might be just as easy to do a 2-3" lift block on the front spring to get the extra clearance.

Thanks for the replies.

coachgeo

Yea, was referring to Steyr parts, cab stuff from a European website. Didn't know if it was something common.

I'll probably fab what I need. Might be just as easy to do a 2-3" lift block on the front spring to get the extra clearance.

Thanks for the replies.
watch possible need for mod to throttle linkage too??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks