• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV: winch on the deck

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering a quick-detach winch to drop into one of the four 4" holes on the LMTV bed where the crane went. What do you all figure it could handle? Pulls would be in shear force across the deck. I am assuming a 9k lb winch would be no issue. A double line could return to the chassis to halve the pull on the bed.

Ronmar

Not sure how much lateral force the bed mounting scheme was intended to withstand, havn’t really looked at that structure…

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the mounting tube is welded to the top and the side rails and the bottom layer I'd say could probably withstand a considerable Force!

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what type of steel this bed is made from because I think I'll make a cad model of the bed on my M1083, and a 2-ft shorter version for the M1078. applying the proper material could lead to good results from FEA

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what type of steel this bed is made from because I think I'll make a cad model of the bed on my M1083, and a 2-ft shorter version for the M1078. applying the proper material could lead to good results from FEA
I can almost guarantee that CAD model is very inaccurate. Even if dimensionally perfect, the details needed for an accurate FEA are very technically complicated. Unless you are an engineer doing FEA on a regular basis and understand all the factors, FEA on an assembly structure like this is going to present you misleading information.

I see many errors on FEA assumptions made daily by PhDs. It's a powerful tool but you really have to know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02……

Just from looking at it I’d say you’d have no problem with a 9k winch. If you double line winch I’d maybe go back to the truck frame. It’s probably one of the best places on the truck to pull from excluding the frame itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks