• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv won't start

Hauling the mail

I have replaced the the power switch and the push button as well as the the starter relay. I even jumped the relay on the dash with a wire from the top and bottom poles of the starter relay. All I get is a clicking sound from the relay on the dash. Any ideas where else I should check next. Thanks in advance . Rob.

snowtrac nome

first question does the transmission control module power up. if so than open the cab jump the large positive wire to the small switch wire on the starter motor, if your starter rotates your problem lies between your new relay and the starter. these trucks have another relay down by the starter I think as I remember its on the frame wires and grounds have been known to come loose on them.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries hot and connected properly? Starter is 24 volts. Many other possibilites, check the easy issues first like batteries.

Hauling the mail

Thanks I'll try jumping the starter once I have the cab up. I just put 4 new 6 tm batteries in and even tried jumping with the slave but the same results

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snowtrac's fingers must be numb. He is telling you that the WTEC controller has to be happy in order to not inhibit cranking. What year is your truck? 97 and before is WTEC 2, 98 and after is WTEC 3.

Hauling the mail

I think they had a surplus of silicon. The starter and the relay are on the frame covered. Ill update in the next couple of days as time is not my side with this truck. If anyone needs cab insulation shoot me a note. I also have a parts truck with 4000 miles on the motor and trans, i can send photos if anyone needs some parts.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also on the older trucks there is a relay for the starter in the dash. Was the cause of my truck not starting and why I got it cheap at auction. Before I figured out the relay it was started by jumping the starter solinoid to get it on and off the transport truck. Spend some time looking over the panel and swap some relays around.

Rebuilder

This might not apply to the OP's problem but it may help someone else coming here with the problem I had. My truck began to make a clunk, clunk noise and then start and eventually didn't clunk or start. After a lot of trouble shooting I found that power was getting to the TCM but it wasn't getting back out to 86 on the starter relay. I opened the TCM and found the problem. I was able to start my truck by jumping 87 to 30 on the starter relay and as a short term fix I jumped F and G in the TCM which will bypass the neutral switch.
20170709_184812.jpg20170709_192101.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You opened the vim module and jumped one of the relays. But now you lost whatever safety that relay provided. Could just be a wire or switch issue that the truck does not know it's in neutral.

Rebuilder

You opened the vim module and jumped one of the relays. But now you lost whatever safety that relay provided. Could just be a wire or switch issue that the truck does not know it's in neutral.
Yep, the issue I found was the G connection to the board is fried and there's no continuity back to terminal 86 of the starter relay. I jumped the two to verify there weren't any other issues with the wires from the TB1 #34 terminal to the 86 terminal on the starter relay. By the time my truck is roadworthy I'll have a new VIM with a working NS circuit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks