• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall there were a half dozen M1078 cabs in various condition and a few complete but damaged trucks auctioned off about 4 years ago from Camp Pendelton.

Anybody here remember those?

I check for complete trucks occasionally but nothing comes up on my searches.

Rick

kcimb

Sorry, I don't think that cab can withstand much in the way of an RPG rocket.

So it's still retarded.

If you want protection, ride a track. That CoverGirl armor on a truck just reduces the amount of cargo it can carry. Are there any M548s in the sandbox right now? With armor, those might be useful in the way of protection AND cargo capacity.

Just my two cents...
Tracks do not provide any more protection than trucks do. Tracked vehicles cannot go as fast, sustain wear more rapidly, and consume more resources.... Speed+armor over tracked vehicles anyday.

And the m548 provides much, much less protection than an armored truck. It's a gutted m113.

Well when I first got my hands on theses models in the testing phase in 1996. I realized and proved they were a over pirced, top heavy, and thin skinned vehicles that the goverment was going to buy reguardless of our sling load testing on Fort Campbell. Then when arriving in Iraq in 2004 it was proof it was a junk. The hole circuit boards are located beneath the gunners hatch and exposed to the weather. We would loose all power when a circuit brecker were damged by operatos feet or a bit of moisture. Then, Iraq was a big problem, when we even had the first models up armored and were just to front heavy. If I had a choose I would pick a M35A3 over the whole FMTV, LMTV or even 900 seies vehicles. The only advantage the LMTV faimly has is speed!!!!! But being top heavy I dont think speed will help. Especially the wrecker version are junks, I think when they first proposed these vehicle they had Warsaw Pack in mind driving down the Autobahen rather rough terrian with Hagien.

GTR0419

Ugh. Why does everybody get so uptight about the FMTV program. I mean, everybody has their favorites and they all have +'s & -'s, but I read stuff on threads like this that isn't even true; not to mention how far off topic every one gets. Geez guys, take a pill.

So, Timberwolf I don't know if anyone ever answered your question because I had to stop reading the negativity. The designations were addressed. As for whether or not they come up for sale, yes. There have been quite a few lately in New York, Georgia, and Texas. Mostly LMTV's, but a few FMTV's. A little birdy told me there are more on the horizon.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GTR not sure if you noticed but the last post on this thread was almost 5 years ago. Lots of things have changed since then, especially the availability of these vehicles. When the thread started their were very few of these in private hands.

GTR0419

Oops.

GTR not sure if you noticed but the last post on this thread was almost 5 years ago. Lots of things have changed since then, especially the availability of these vehicles. When the thread started their were very few of these in private hands.
Didn't notice or I would not have bothered. I usually do check that. My apologies. It was the first thread that came up when I searched LMTV. A little strange.

DSD277

Amen to that.

People have been educated since then... weren't they still burning witches at the stake 5 year ago? :)

Goomer214

Are the lmtv family of truck worth it or would I be better getting a 900 series 5 ton
it seems the lmtv have been updated with bigger cabs and a cat engine other things I'm sure
any one with experience in both would be appreciated

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The ELECTRICAL system is a CUCV on STEROIDS, it has a 12v, 24v, 12v/24v system, the whole right side of the dash is taken up with 24v fuses, relays, cbs, 12v fuses,relays, cbs, and 12v/24v (yes combos) fuses, relays. and cbs., all the cbs, fuses, and relays look the same, put the WRONG one in and you just burnt something up, on top of this there ARE enough sensors to deal with that it would take a week to replace them all, any one going bad will shut you down, now once you figured which sensor is the bad guy you now have to FIND it.

It has a 12v/24 alternator, a lot of $$$$ to replace, also remember, a dead alternator = a dead truck.

Another is you have a 100% of the time live front axle with just a drop box and NO way to disengage the front axle, this makes it a pain to recover a non-runner (keep thinking about the above paragraph in the same thought as non-runner)

The lower radiator tank and trans cooler is right behind the THIN front bumper, ANYTHING that gets the front bumper WILL get (or stands a very good chance) the cooling system.

The foot throttle is NOT connect to the ip by linkage but by a electrical gismo, again think non-runner and the first paragraph.

After posting the above, I really want to go out and get a 1/2 dozen of these trucks, realizing that these trucks were deigned by a committee of morons and made by the low bidder that also had the maintenance contract.

Last edited:

Doug Roberts

well a few did go out , I got one of em . The truck is designed for air drop missions. With this cab over design , the blind spot is really big . I'll be installing a backup cam for sure. It's all wheel drive , fuel mileage isn't too good , but the CAT engine is very impressive. I have installed a 200 amp alternator that is dual volt ( 24 and 12 ).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks