• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loader piping fittings JIC with tapered threads?

peakbagger

One of the fittings on my loader snapped today under load. Its on one of of the boom cylinders that lifts the entire loader up. It was under heavy load, and looks like a fatigue failure. I have kept this system stock and have not removed the "hidden" pressure reducing valve on this system so it was stock pressure (unless the hidden valve is not working). I looked up the part number and sent an inquiry to EI and they responded quickly that its mongrel part. Not mercedes and nothing they have in stock. Its an adaptor 90 degree elbow. The end that screws in the cyclinder side is flat faced straight thread backed up by an o ring and nut. I found that in various fittings manuals but the other side looks just like a JIC straight thread cone fitting but unlike all the fitting manuals the threads are tapered. I went down to a local parts store and they had the right size JIC fitting in a straight adapter. Despite the tapered thread on the originals, the JIC screws right in and appears to seat.

They didnt have the adaptor elbow but will order one in. I am going to give it try but has anyone else run into this odd variation of what looks to be a JIC fitting but with tapered thead?

peakbagger

I did not contact Schmidt. I did find out that the odd thread is JIC thread that should be straight thread with the same pitch but is distinctly tapered on the male cast fittings on the SEE. The net result was I bought a standard fitting with a straight female JIC thread and the existing tapered fitting worked (no leaks). The actual sealing occurs via a conical seat rather than the threads so as long as the pitch lines up I guess a bit of slop in the thread clearances is okay.

peakbagger

Thanks but those are not the ones. I saw those. The ones I needed have external cone seat (male) on the horizontal thread and am O ring with backing nut on the vertical thread. The elbow screws into the cylinder until the elbow is int he right place then the backing nut behind the O ring is tightened to seal up the elbow in the correct rotation location.

Surplus Center does have the right ones for about the same price but I bought mine through my local parts store.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks