• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loading it up

scooter01922

Got stone ???? :lol: Looks like a good workout getting it unloaded. Glad the ol girl did well. Its kinda nice to see them get a real workout now and then.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was considering getting a load of fill with mine. I'm also considering dumping it by lifting the nose off the ground with the wrecker. I'm allergic to shovels and rakes.

54reo

mrgerke81 said:
I just bought a 68 model and says it is a 5 speed. Do they have models with 10 speed transmissions?
Splitting the gears between the "hi" and "low" range on the transfer case.

jwaller

USMC6062 said:
Can you shift on the fly from low to high? I tried it a little on my truck and it didn't seem to want to go and I wasn't about to force it.
yes you can. look at the data plate for the accepted speeds and go for it. if it doesnt shift correctly then you have some work to do.

L 1-5
then H 4th and then 5th.

works like a charm and really helps get those heavy loads going.

USMC6062

I might have tried it at the wrong speed, that part of my data plate is bleeched out from the sun. I did try it with the clutch pushed in, but it was only one time, because I wasn't sure if you were supposed to be able to do that or not. I've never seen a pickup at least that could be shifted from low to high on the fly. I'll have to get some new plates so that I can see what else my truck will do.

FSBruva

What did the rear springs look like? We had ours nearly flat on the move down... and that was the SMOOTHEST ride I've ever had in the truck!!

Agreed, the military rated the truck for 5 tons on road - but the military usually builds in a buffer to the ratings, so that putting 10,001 lbs in won't instantly cause the truck to self destruct. These trucks can handle more than that, as evidenced by their towing capacity. The deuce can tow another 3 tons, even when fully loaded!! But they can't handle more weight + normal top speed + curvy roads + stopping on a dime, etc. The point is, if the truck doesn't stall when you put it in 1L, then you can handle the load. You just need to understand what constraints that places on your driving capabilities.

USMC6062 - The transfer case is synchro-ed in both ranges, because shifting on the fly is necessary when loaded (otherwise you'd have a limited top speed). However, the high and low ranges overlap a little bit, so it's not like you go from 5L to 2H. Jwaller's explanation is right on the money for where the gears line up - from 5L it's best to go into 4H, and then 5H. The best solution is to drive your truck, and get a feel for it on your own! :)

There is a very cool "Multifuel Operator's Manual" from the PS magazine section that is pretty informative regarding driving habits. It's here.

Also, the manual number 9-2320-361-10 is titled "Operator's Manual," and covers how to turn on, drive, stop and turn off the truck. It's here.

Below is an image of the shifting speeds dataplate from the -10 manual.

Matt

Attachments

USMC6062

My truck came with the operators manual in the glove box from GL, "freebie". I looked through it some, but haven't studied it yet. When I flat towed the M108 in the other post for my buddy, I did it all in high range, but I did have to wind it out in third to be able to keep going in forth. It pretty much would only run in forth, it didn't feel like it had the power to shift into 5th and stand a chance of keeping up. Does this sound right for a stock deuce pulling a 20,000 pound truck that might have a dragging brake or tires that are a little low? I know recovery4x4 said in his post when he picked up his M108 that it took him about two miles to reach top speed, but I don't think mine could have made it in five.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took time but I was able to run 55 no problem. Lots of deuces have their fuel rate set pretty soft from the gov't. With a pyro and some tuning, I'd bet you could get it through 5th.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could tow the M108 to 50-55 on the flats. If the wind was blowing against me, only 45 in 4th(running 11.00 tires) Got the pump turned up some.

saddamsnightmare

June 29th, 2008.

Slightly off theme:

When the deuces were modified into the ESP program 1040 trucks, did they retain the two speed transfer cases, and if so, how are they shifted with the automatic transmissions?

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare' Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 MEP023A Hercules Gas-Gen-set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S.404.114 MB :?:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks