• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loading ramps

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone have any designs for a set of steel ramps? I'm wanting something about 12ft to 14ft long. I'd like to build them for the M270 I have. I'd like to be able to load the M114 on it. (15K lbs max weight) But I'd also like to have the option to load a M35A2 or 5 ton if needed. I was thinking C channel for the outside and angle for the inside. Then use a inverted truss underneath as well as jackstands.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Peck had some real heavy duty ramps, but they were only 5-6 feet long, for some military trailer. Took four of us to move them around, one at a time. If you got them, you'd have to make some hydraulic rams to lift them, or carry a crew of four to six to move them around. You really want the ramp as short as you can get it and not hit the underside of the vehicle going up the ramp once it passes onto the main deck. Where are you going to store 12 ft long ramps, how are you going to move them around, and what will they weigh? Ponder those questions, then get back to us.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of steel ramps made exactly how you describe, strong enough for 15k. I HATE THEM. Way to heavy, I can just barely pick up one end and drag them around. Herniated disc waiting to happen. Drop the coin and get aluminum ramps. Reorider has some nice ones, same as OTR truckers have for drop deck trailers.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
M 269 deck height is 52 inches beaver tail is 70 inches long and ramp is about the same . This has worked out real good .
The problem is the length, the M270 has a 40ft deck alone. It's gotta be close to 53ft limit already.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heat treated plywood. Light and strong. LOL. Section out 60" of deck in front of the tandems. Add it to the rear of the tandems at an angle to get your dovetail. Tempered rails be dam ed

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I'd make it completely solid like that, at least not in the middle. Or just use angle for the ramps instead of wood. And just use timber for loading heavy stuff. Would be kinda nice to have a detachable dovetail ramp setup.

ReoRider

Having hauled around the 4 man OEM steel ramps for years, originally issued for the M172A1, would strongly recommend going aluminum. As NDT points out the lifting load is on your back, but even more interesting is the relief to your friends. They show up on time for loading, and aren't volunteering to go get coffee when it's time to set up the steel monsters. One man can position the AL versions!
IMG_1670.jpgView attachment 655123
Original steel ramps- plenty strong and plenty heavy

IMG_2770.jpgIMG_2771.jpgIMG_2784.jpg
Aluminum version, my new best friends

Castle Bravo had suggested the Discount outfit he just mentioned and I talked with the guy there, giving him specs. for the weight of the load, length/width etc. and he came up with a recommendation. With some pride he then mentioned that they were making ramps for the military and even for loading tanks! I then told him that was what I was loading and he got quiet for a moment and then said he would re-work the loading for additional webbing in the structure. What arrived is an amazing piece of work- excellent welding and finish, and has held up beautifully over last couple of years.

I much prefer the completely removable ramp approach, leaving the rear of the trailer open for dock loading and other adventures. With the AL ramps, as light as they are, it's no problem to stow them anywhere along or under a load as needed, and remember you can then move them around to multiple trailers or bridging needs.

Attachments

ReoRider

The outfit is Discount Ramps @ 888-651-3431. The tech staff that I talked with was Jim Douglas. I ended up with 20" wide, 96" long, their # 30-20-096-02-02-MLL, just for reference.
Check out their website- lots in material.

DrillerSurplus

Does anyone have any designs for a set of steel ramps? I'm wanting something about 12ft to 14ft long. I'd like to build them for the M270 I have. - - - I was thinking C channel for the outside and angle for the inside. Then use a inverted truss underneath as well as jackstands.
I have a 3 axle step deck I got out of Barstow a few years ago. I picked up some of the original steel ramps ReoRider shows in the first picture. They are 10' long and 2' wide and HEAVY! I don't use them all that often and almost always have a forklift to move them.

They use C channel on the outside as you were thinking. I wanted to point out that the C channel is boxed in with plate about 1/4" thick between the handles for about 5 feet to add rigidity in the middle as you can see in ReoRider's photo.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll second the aluminum ramps! My dad needed a set of ramps for a straight deck gooseneck trailer. After scratching our heads trying to figure out how build steel ramps that would be strong enough but could still be handled by one person, we started looking at aluminum ramps. He ended up finding a used set like this on Craigslist for much cheaper than new. I'd suggest searching Craigslist and calling some trucking places in your area. You might score a good deal on some used ones.

http://www.discountramps.com/step_deck_trailer_ramps/p/STEP-DECK-20K/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks