• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Location of STE-ICE diagnostics module in cab for tachometer hookup

rsrxc700

Going to install a VDO tachometer and looking for location of the brown wire from back of alternator where it ends up in the cab. I beleive its called the STE-ICE diagnostics module. Thinking its probably easier to pick it up in the cab rather than running wire directly to alternator.

cucvrus

The connection is that 2 1/6" cannon plug located below where the stock radio would be located. If that is missing the connection is out under the hood off to the right behind the air filter housing. Good Luck. Easier to just tap the alternator.

Keith_J

There is a small plastic case where the tachometer brown wire terminates. Full circuit ID starts with wire diameter, .8 (mm), then color (BRN) hyphen then circuit ID (104) and finally insulation type (SXL). SXL is thick wall polyethylene. Wire diagram descriptors are on chapter 2-2 of the TM.

If using Appendix E-11 from TM 9-2320-289-34, circuit is 104 starting from left (that is port for the Navy inhibited 😉) alternator. Wire diagram shows it transiting the firewall bulkhead 3rd position from the right.
In the cab, wire color is still brown and ID still 104. It terminates at the tach buffer module. The buffer module has 7 wires, brown, 2 black, dark green, light green and tan. Tap into the brown for alternator AC to tach.

I've tried all sockets on the STE-ICE port with my frequency meter, nothing. Sockets leading to the tach buffer module are D (purple 857), multiple grounds and C (green 858).

Tach buffer module is smaller than the glow plug controller, also hanging from harness and near the STE-ICE port.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks