• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

locked brakes on deuce

SCRAP

my m35 has been sitting for an extended period of time, the last time it was driven 4 years ago it had no brakes. I parked it , and the other day i attempted to move it with another m35 , the two rear axles are locked, hard. what can cause this besides the parking brake?

91W350

Probably not the parking brake, unless it has rusted to the drum. The park brake is separate from the wheel brakes and works on the drive line. Normally it is rust in the drums wedging the shoes tight. They can be very difficult to break free. You can check to see if it is the parking brake by jacking both rear tires off of the ground and trying to turn a wheel. If it is the park brake only, the wheels should roll opposite directions through the differential.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The shoes could be exanded and be locked against the drums.

You might try opening the bleeder valves and pushing down on the brake pedal...this will empty the fluid and allow the shoes to contract. Be sure to refill the master cylinder and bleed the brakes before moving the truck.

If the wheel cylinders have frozen in the expanded position you may be looking at replacing all of them to get the brake system back up to par.

I see you are from up north.....if you operated he truck in the winter you could have damage from salt used on the road.

matta2

:driver:
my m35 has been sitting for an extended period of time, the last time it was driven 4 years ago it had no brakes. I parked it , and the other day i attempted to move it with another m35 , the two rear axles are locked, hard. what can cause this besides the parking brake?
did you try pulling the axles? then you will know if its breaks

Akicita

Your truck sat for 4 years in Maryland. With the humidity you have and maybe being close to the Chesapeake Bay, I guess you have a serious rust issue.
If you had no brakes when you parked the truck, you have an additional brake problem. I don't think one has anything at all to do with the other.