• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locked Gama Goat Steering

I am going to work on my goat this week and I need any tip on un locking the steering. It is all locked up and I cant even turn the steering wheel at all. What should I do?

wsucougarx

Sounds like a steering box issue. Good idea to drain your front steering box and see what's in there. I imagine she's probably plumb full of water.
Not sure if you're familiar with the Goat. But the Goat has two steering boxes. One in the bow and one in the stern (carrier). To drain the front box, you need to remove the plate on the very front of the Goat. Its just under the bumper on the driver side. Once off, it'll expose the steering box. Unbolt the drain plug and drain. You fill the steering box by removing the fill bolt just below the foot pedals (yes you've got to be a good contortionist to get in there. If the box looks good then you have a series of 4 steering rod bearings that need to be greased. If your Goat hasn't been greased in awhile, one or more of these said bearings can be seized. Just follow the steering rod rearward and you'll see the circular bearings with a zerk.

Last edited:
Ok, so where they are stored is like in the middle of no where, and so when I go I want to make sure I don't forget anything. I have been doing some studying and reading out of the tm, which is helpful. But I love to get advice from Goat owners. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks