• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locked Military padlocks

redcoat54th

I have no less than three American padlocks series 5200 locked on various places on my M35A2. It came that way from GL. I notice that there is a three letter code on the back of each. I do not want to cut the hasps. I there a way to find keys, diable the little buggers and re-key them OR will they have to be cut off?
I am sure that I am not the only one with a key problem.

JAYHAWK 1962

If these are the brass ones on the chain, a good locksmith can do it. unfortunately most of the time the cost to do it is more than what it would cost to buy new locks. ask the locksmith for a price and i hope you find some goodies locked in those compartments

jatonka

I have 100 plus of those padlocks, all locked on various trucks I have gotten, I have about 10 keys............ so every time I get another truck, out I go with my keys to see if one is the magic ticket. I haven't unlocked a lock yet, 10 years and a lot of trucks later. JT

Lex_Ordo

You can buy the New 5200 series yellow zinc padlocks, on eBay.
Cut off the old ones, and replace.

I know of no source to find the correct key.

I bought 6 locks from an eBay seller, all with the same letter codes. All were keyed different.

You will save a lot of time and effort, replacing them.

2deuce

I have seen that 3 letter code too. I was wondering if that was enough for a locksmith to make keys on the 5100 or 5200 series? I have looked all over the truck for a hiding place but haven't found keys. Has anyone found keys hidden in their truck? My spare tire was locked up under my CUCV. A hidden key would make sense.

Westex

I went through this lock thing recently; my Deuce had the same "government" lock on the steering wheel chain, but alas, no key. Really didn't matter to me, as I live on the southern border and locks are important. I cut the lock off and installed an American Lock Series 700 which is beefier; however, any lock can be cut off in seconds with a metal cutting tungsten carbide saw blade. The trick is to prevent the saw blade from accessing the lock; hence, a guard to prevent any little grinder with a metal cutting blade to access the lock is important. But none of it matters, since the chain is vuneralbe. I know this leaves the question still open, but as far as locks go, look up American Lock on the internet, they are formidable as locks go; the Treasury uses them.

Westex

Oh, I agree with that; again, I just posted to tell about great locks. On the border down here, I use containers to secure my stuff; welded a box where you have to stick the key up in there to unlock the container in a metal welded box. Ain't no bolt cutters getting to that. It would take a torch, welder, plasma cutter to get to it, and the last I checked, they dont carry that across the Rio Grand.

ida34

One of the reasons the military uses pad locks is if a key is lost you can always use the universal key (bolt cutters). I say cut them and buy new. If you want the military style locks again get the American 5200 series. The keys some with a 4 digit code. If you find two with the same code they locks will open with the same key. Problem is the code is not on the lock. It is only on they key. I supposed someone at American could make extra keys based on the code but you would not have it unless you had the keys. I got two pad locks from a surplus store near Fort Campbell that were keyed alike so my tool box and steering lock use the same key.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a locksmith tell me that American locks are the hardest to pick that he'd ever delt with. Said he could pick them but it wasn't the easiest.

The last truck I bought had 5 cut locks laying in the floorboard. As I was looking for goodies I found a set of keys on a ring in the map compartment. Tried them and they fit all of the cut locks but what am I going to do with 5 cut locks :x? Guess somebody just went for the bolt cutters instead of looking for the keys ( they were right there in the map compartment).

art

The three digit code is a date code the newer ones some times have 4 digits.

The Rule in the military was "cut the chain not the lock!" someone always came up with the key after you cut it.
Always put the lock on the last link of the chain (so you only cut one link off the chain when you cut the lock off)

American Lock is a high security padlock with anti picking pins that are very hard to pick!
Send the broken locks to me or I can pick them up at at Gilbert, Sussex or Aberdeen

bassetdeuce

I was lucky enough to get one government lock with the key on my first deuce, but I have to jiggle the key to get in out. The key wont come out at all if the lock is open. I'm too cheap to buy a decent lock. :roll:

art

but I have to jiggle the key to get in out. The key wont come out at all if the lock is open. I'm too cheap to buy a decent lock. :roll:
That's a great lock don't get rid of it!
Use graphite or WD40 to lube the lock.

That is the way the lock works,, the military uses a key retaining lock.

REGULATOR

I've actually snapped 5200 series with a BII Screwdriver and a adjustable wrench.. they are not that tough

it takes some technique, but was much simpler then signing for the "master key" from the motor pool or security.

papercu

The keys are usually kept with the logbook and the logbook are turned over to the DRMO. I personally think there is a huge room at each DRMO filled with old logbooks that have been turned in. :-D Wayne