• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locked rear axles

trider

So I am a newbie to deuces if I put say a Grizzly or Detroit locker in the front and I have an air shift t-case and the front wheel drive is not engaged with the locker in the front be disengaged? Or do you have to add locking hubs to unlock the locker? I am thinking I would like to have a locker in the front but don't want it locked for daily driving but wouldn't mind it being locked when I'm playing off-road.

brianp454

If it is an air-lock diff, you engage it and disengage it with air pressure. The setup includes a sliding sleeve inside the differential that is moved by an air cylinder. You could hook this air cylinder to the existing air value in the cab, that way you would connect the front diff to the transfer case and make both front wheels driven with zero slip with one throw of the switch. When you throw the switch it would engage or disengage both at the same time.

Locking front hubs are to reduce wear and tear on the front end and help with driveability, not enhance traction. I can send you my bookmarks if you like.

So I am a newbie to deuces if I put say a Grizzly or Detroit locker in the front and I have an air shift t-case and the front wheel drive is not engaged with the locker in the front be disengaged? Or do you have to add locking hubs to unlock the locker? I am thinking I would like to have a locker in the front but don't want it locked for daily driving but wouldn't mind it being locked when I'm playing off-road.

trider

Yeah I wouldn't mind looking at your bookmarks. I am needing to replace the boots on the front end of my deuce and will rebuild the front end while I am in there. If I am thinking about adding a locking diff. should I wait and add the diff. and rebuild it all at the same time?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah I wouldn't mind looking at your bookmarks. I am needing to replace the boots on the front end of my deuce and will rebuild the front end while I am in there. If I am thinking about adding a locking diff. should I wait and add the diff. and rebuild it all at the same time?
You'll need to pull the axle out to be able to install the locker.

trider

So if I have locking hubs and a Detroit locker and the hubs are in the unlocked position will the Detroit locker be "unlocked" or are Detroit lockers "locked" all the time regardless of if you have locking hubs or not?

M-1028

So if I have locking hubs and a Detroit locker and the hubs are in the unlocked position will the Detroit locker be "unlocked" or are Detroit lockers "locked" all the time regardless of if you have locking hubs or not?
Detroits are only locked when power is applied. So it's only locked when front wheel drive is engaged. If your hubs are unlocked it doesn't matter whats in the diff or if the front is engaged, nothing will be locked.

mudguppy

Detroits are only locked when power is applied. So it's only locked when front wheel drive is engaged. If your hubs are unlocked it doesn't matter whats in the diff or if the front is engaged, nothing will be locked.
agreed. I have forgotten that my hubs were locked and have done quite a bit of driving without any noticeable 'locking' going on up front. It wasn't until I went to lock the hubs did I realize they were already locked. I have never had the front 'lock' and give trouble steering with front drive de-selected. Not that it is impossible, but it hasn't happened to me, including lots of parking lot maneuvers / tight turning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks