• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locked Up 6.2 Diesel

cucvrus

Any tricks to get the 6.2 diesel out when it is locked up tight? I have the heads and pan off 5 connecting rod caps disconnected, all the main bearings and caps removed, the timing chain and gear. It is basically a block. I would not fuss so much but I could get 5 of the 6 torque converter bolts. But as fate has it the one with/in the weight on the flex plate is at 12 noon on the crank. Dead center top side. That and I got struck in the thumb with shrapnel when I was hitting the pistons from the top side. It bleed like I hit an artery. Stop production. Fall back and regroup. I took a break to regroup and come up with a strategy. Another plan of attack. This engine is coming out today.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not pull the motor with the flexplate and torque converter still attached to the crank?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not pull the motor with the flexplate and torque converter still attached to the crank?
This! I'll have to say though, that bolt surrounded by weights is a real PITA, removed one yesterday. Have you tried one of these?

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't install it assembled, as you can damage the pump.

cucvrus

I have that fly wheel turning tool in the Snap-On version. This 6.2 engine was locked tight. No problem. The answer was right at door.DSCF6874.jpgI wheeled out the oxygen /acetylene torch and cut the offending connecting DSCF6885.jpgrods off. Worked like a charm. No burns I put on my PPE. I do not like pulling engines with the torque converter attached. That is hard on the front pump and the transmission. You need an exact angle. I know it can be done. I have done it hundreds of times but not when I am going to be putting it back together. Maybe at the salvage yard/can point. Even at the YOUPULLIT I try my best to do extractions the right way. Some other poor guy may need the attached part that I just opened up to the elements. I worked harder then I had to but I achieved the desired goal. Thank you for advise. While you were giving it I was torching.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After seeing that you started a new thread on your humvee, I moved this thread to the correct forum.

You could not have had easier access to simply slide the engine forward, and save all that torch work, but to each his own, yadda yadda yadda...

cucvrus

I love torch work. And I asked about the locked up 6.2 engine because it is the same engine as a CUCV and I am familiar with a CUCV. Just a little not as well as you. I will have to study and work much harder to keep up with you.master.pngMaster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks