• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker install

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep I can run it up on a manure pile I have lol. It's slick as s.... it may be a while before I can get it off kilter. I'll know soon about locker clunk if there is any.

ramdough

Yep I can run it up on a manure pile I have lol. It's slick as s.... it may be a while before I can get it off kilter. I'll know soon about locker clunk if there is any.
Maybe do some donuts in a parking lot to see if it chirps excessively?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First street drive of the locker. Only got it to lock on one corner really trying. Sounded like something rolling in the bed, and not a loud bang. Other than that never noticed it. The high speed gears are very nice addition. Gear changes are much smoother, held speed up hills better, cruising 45 I was no longer in 7th but rather 5 or 6.

ramdough

SWEET!!!!! I am glad all of that work turned out well. I can't wait for the off-road test report.

When the locker locked up were you gunning it in a corner?

Any tire scuffing or other change in cornering?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pedal to the floor, 90 degree turn, no chirp. Added a shim to a front hub, made it a lot quieter. Now can hear that the rears need adjustment. And yes need to get off road still.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you measure the gear lash before you take it apart, and return it to the same gear lash on re assembly. I did not and it caused me a lot of extra work.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Thanks. Keith said to measure and scribe marks on anything I am taking apart so I can make sure its all put back together right. I know a local guy who owns a drivetrain shop he does heavy equipment driveline rebuilding. Its more of a project than I want to get into myself. I do more of the electrical side of things.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not too difficult to do. And yes scribe everything. It was actually a little easier than I had expected. Parts are heavy though. I set my center section on two jack stands and that allowed for the pinion to spin below. Made life a lot easier

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good idea, my spare bucket got full of gear oil from the axle. Also I needed access to the pinion to turn it for setting the contact area on the gears, since I didn't check lash prior to disassembley. As rotating the ring gear isn't the right way. If I didn't live on the other side of the country I'd come over and help lol, and shop for lmtv goodies in person.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting tidbit. Still hearing hub noise and having had both fronts off and on and correctly shimmed, figures it was time to check the rear. So I drove a rear tire up on some blocks to run the gear lube to the other side of the axle. I popped the cover, caught the cup of oil that was still in the hub. Installed my home made tool and found just a tad too much gear lash. Put in the correct shims. Now where it gets interesting is when putting it back together. So with the locker both sides of the axle are connected and you can't rotate the axle shaft to line things back up. Took a bit but was able to time the gears to where they were when I pulled them. So advice for hub adjustments post locker, is to mark the gears when you pull them to make life much easier.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had my buddy's shop do the locker for me. Took it for a spin around town and up on the highway today. I can't really tell a difference. Maybe a little around corners. The tires make some road noise depending on speed.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did notice pulling out of my drive way onto a dirt road the inside tire left a track. Really haven't noticed anything else. Also drove into my manure pile to get the truck off kilter, got the rear two tires to spin. Where in the past only one would.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Not really anywhere for me to test it on dirt around here. Not till one of the truck pulls. There's a tug o war about 2 hours from me next weekend I have a lot going on don't think I will be able to make it.

ramdough

I had my buddy's shop do the locker for me. Took it for a spin around town and up on the highway today. I can't really tell a difference. Maybe a little around corners. The tires make some road noise depending on speed.
Is the road noise new? How is it different from before?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No but with the windows open especially on the highway at different speeds you get some tire noise. I have a new set of goodyears on the truck. Makes a bit different sound than the michelins I ran before.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove all around town, and on the highway. Went through a bunch of parking lots and never knew the locker was there. Now the high speed gears, love them. 45 indicates is now 60

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks