• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker location on 1083

290smallcam

I thought all 3 axles had some sort of locker installed already? Thought of buying a M 1083A1 instead of a M35A2, but if I cant have lockers in all 3 axles im out?

coachgeo

I thought all 3 axles had some sort of locker installed already? Thought of buying a M 1083A1 instead of a M35A2, but if I cant have lockers in all 3 axles im out?
Their is only one locker and it is inside the Power Divider Box. Rudimentary example..... this box is a differential mounted sideways. Think of it as a differential sideways with a driveshaft attached in place of axle shafts.. one driveshaft goes to the middle axle and one goes to the rearmost axle on the 6x6. Like any other differential it allows one axle shaft (drive shaft in rudimentary example) to rotate more than another .... and this one has a locker on it. This differential allows the middle axle and the rear axle to rotate different speeds from each other. When Power Divider's differential is locked... the middle axle and the rear axle turn at same speeds in same way a locked differential in a typical axle turns both wheels the same speed

that being said Bryce Wiaslek is almost done with his axle conversions.... they will replace axles in a 4 wheeled FMTV and have air lockers in front and rear along with slight better ratio options than what is available now.

Last edited:

coachgeo

why to complicated !!
noting complicated.... it just the better way to do a 6x6 . Particularly one that goes offroad. Tag axle only as second one in 6x6 does not help beyond weight carrying. Full time equal power to two rear axles in 6x6 increases wear (same as driving in full 4wd all the time would in a regular 4x4) and disconnect set up where you have either tag axle or lock in rear one so then both power requires you to stop before activation to prevent shock loads etc. that breaks things.

most dual rear axle trucks these days that both are powered; operate in similar manner from what I'v read.

Last edited:

ramdough

that being said Bryce Wiaslek is almost done with his axle conversions.... they will replace axles in a 4 wheeled FMTV and have air lockers in front and rear along with slight better ratio options than what is available now.
is there a thread on this? I thought air lockers were not actually coming.

Reworked LMTV

Based on comments from Plasa with the 4x4, I would gander that it would be better to just do the middle pumpkin if using non-air lockers. He described some rear end giddiness when the Detroit style lockers lock in. Having the rears not locked in a 6x6 would likely stabilize the truck more when the middle pumpkin locks in certain "mountain" conditions.

Reworked LMTV

you would have to ask Bryce thru facebook. Ive no clue

Ugh I don't use FB. Too much data misuse.

coachgeo

Ugh I don't use FB. Too much data misuse.
Yeah I left it long ago for same reasons but my boss started using the message feature for employee wide communications for a while and that drew me back. ended up finding some good LMTV groups after. Some refuse to come here based on passed issues..... others do both (most)

Ive learned to shut down most the tracking/sharing crap FBook does in settings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks