• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker selection for daily driver

mudman

We had a 69 chey 3/4 ton pick up on the ranch. It had a no spin in it and I thnk it had 285, 000 miles on it before the enigne caough up a hair ball, never once did the ole man ever change the oil or anything in it and it went the distance.. Through five kids learning to drive too.!!

TacticalDoc

Are you towing with the truck? If so true lockers are frowned upon. They will stress the crap out of one axle and can even cause it to break.

Look in your golve box at the build codes. Is there a G80..... if so just use the locker thats in it.

I'm not really interested in towing anything but there is a trailer button on the gear shift. There is also an anti slip on/off button. If I'm driving in the rain and wheels start slipping a light goes on and the truck adjusts. If I turn it off the wheels start spinning. I think it decreases power to the spinning wheels but I'm not sure if it puts power to the non slipping wheels.

I have Eaton/Detroit lockers in my truck and its my daily driver. Use it for everything from hauling cruising and off roading. I'll never own a vehicle without one in the rear. I have one in the front of the same truck and it goes anywhere but drives like a grizzly bear. If you can, get a selectable one in the front cause its ridiculous on the road at times.2cents

deuceaid

Banned
I and a friend have put them in our toyotas and bronco,,,,,,first off, never put an automatic in the front cause the steering becomes a pain on tight trails.... we both had tru trac or something in the rear, and it is nice to have it there just ready to go, I dont have to think about it if I need it real quick, and having those 3 wheels driving will make all the difference in the world esspecially in off camber/ twisting trail conditions.

The other things to get use to is tires sqweeling in a parking lot at 3 mph, or little old ladies telling You your differential /tranny is broken ( No Joke- 70 year old lady knew what a differential was and that it was making a clicking sound, but not about lockers).. tires wear more. If you coast thru turns things are much smother in the parking lot. You can get a feedback between your foot and the throttle in a turn, and the truck surging. And You will also experience throttle steer, the vehicle will track down the road and tend to pull to one side or the other because of the tilt of the road......... and You can literally steer by throttling or coasting the engine..... I showed this to my friend (before he got his lockers) by driving about a mile or more down the freeway without holding the steering wheel, I just had to play with the throttle to make it veer left or right.

As for the front I just went with an arb, but that was before the ox came out, and I didnt want to have a toyota electric locker down in the water/mud.

338lapua09

I had a suburban that had a gov loc installed from the factory in the rear that sucked @$$...I replaced that one with a eaton posi differentail...they offer 2 types of springs 1 for street[I used] and 1 for race same clutches...install it and never look back..leave the front open IMO..

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 28th, 2012.

TActical Doc:

Since you are looking for no maintenance on your hubs, I think you may be disappointed in whatever you put on your truck, as it is a civillian truck and not really intended for serious off roading or fording. The CUCV's were designed with 80% on road and about 20% off road, and they, in some ways, were better designed then your present vehicle. Having said that, I had a set of Warn manual lockers on an 1989 F250 4X4 pickup, and one went 250,000 miles and the other's still on the truck at about 350,000+, and I used to go places off road that only a few trucks, like a Unimog will attempt. I also routinely towed a 46,000 Lb caboose around the yards with it switching, and would also carry about 2 tons of rock on the truck in limited movements of under 15 miles or so.
You will note below that I have opted for the Unimog since, and I will say that I only get 18 MPG on the road, and there is no way to disconnect the front hubs from the drive train (e.g. No hub locks), but the tire wear is not excessive and I do have locking differentials which will absorb more power then the civillian units in use on most trucks today....2cents Also Unimogs are less prone to traction steer, but you never want the differentials locked on tight turns, you just won't do any tight turns.....

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

well...being mostly on road and daily driver I think I'm going togo with the Elockers in the rear for the following reasons:

less tire wear
less stress on the parts since its only used off road
keeping the front limited slip so I dont slide

this is my BOV so I want some extra traction and 3 wheels going at the same time should do just fine

skidder

WELL, I got my K30 diesel/auto 4 wheel dr dump new IN 85 with a TRU-TRAC IN REAR AN LIMITED SLIP IN FRONT with 410s gears,
9' snow plow, An i towed a 4 ton mini excavator an my mini dozer an JD 750 back hoe, For years an plowed snow also with now problems , LOL NOT all at once, an i still have it now. Skidder

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks