• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

locking a deuce cab

Happyland1410

Here are final installed pictures of the locking door handle I purchased from SS member caliber1. I didn't want to get paint in the lock mechanism so instead of painting the lock cylinder I simply cut electircal tape to cover it. We will see how the tape holds up but it is easy to replace and makes the lock more discrete than the shiny metal.

Attachments

Marcel

Here are final installed pictures of the locking door handle I purchased from SS member caliber1. I didn't want to get paint in the lock mechanism so instead of painting the lock cylinder I simply cut electircal tape to cover it. We will see how the tape holds up but it is easy to replace and makes the lock more discrete than the shiny metal.
:idea: If you don't want to get paint in the lock cylinder than paint it with the key in the cylinder. When finished painting than remove the key and dip it in solvent to clean it.

Whitey

:idea: If you don't want to get paint in the lock cylinder than paint it with the key in the cylinder. When finished painting than remove the key and dip it in solvent to clean it.
Sounds plausible. Might try that on the nice shinny locks I replaced on my 1009. It hasn't really bothered me much, but I'd hate to give my position away to the enemy! :wink:

-Whitey

Jones

This is on the door of my PLS but the idea should work for a deuce too.
It's two of the tombstone-shaped padlock tabs Master Lock makes. One is screwed rigid to the door and one is on the door opening, secured so as to pivot. Close door, swing up movable tab and insert padlock.

Another idea I try to spread around is a fuel cut-off. Mine is a u-shaped piece that goes in the exposed stem of the engine shut-down "T" handle. Pull shut-down, slip lock-out on and padlock.
A thief may push start a deuce with the batteries cut out, but they're not going to get one running without fuel.
This lock-out also keeps you safe if you're working under the hood. Would hate to pull a multifueler through compression and have it light off on me-- not too many places to run to when you're straddling a running engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

glj

Banned
I've employeed several alternatives. Have installed mechanical trigger (open door) and glass break alarms, very loud alarms, which also notify my key chain if I'm not in immediate vicinity of deuce. Also, since the covered cargo area requires security I have installed a magnetic sensor, to sense movement either inside of the cargo area or close by, depending on how you set the sensitivity. You can set it so you hear a "chirp," for example, if you approach within 5 ft, and a loud alarm if you enter the cargo area. I am rarely if ever out of range, and if I am the deuce is secure in my garage. The alarm should chase them off, anyway (well, maybe). As additional safety measures I have "keyed" the ignition, and I have installed a keyed Cole Hersee battery selector behind the passenger seat. Nobody will find the switch if they are in a hurry and find there is no power because I routinely switch the selector to "off" when I shut down. Have redundant (2) 24 volt systems. Used the tool area and installed the same two deep cycle marine 12 volts in series as I have for the primary battery array. Also have redundant 12 volt deep cycles, one in each tray with the 24 volt series, with separate 12 volt alternator, to run all the lights and other fun stuff. So, really 2 Cole Hersees, battery 1, 2, both, or none. Just for muscle memory I shut them both off and lock each swich, when I shut down. The alarm systems are wired to bypass these switches. An old man. Just returned from Inuvik, NWT, by way of Dempster Hwy in Yukon. As far north as you can drive above arctic circle in Canada, during summer. We old men have to take sufficient precaution so the grizzly bears don't steel our rigs.

Boss Doug

"99.89% of deuce related topics already have several threads dedicated to them." I would guess that since this thread started in 2010 we must have 11% more of deuce related topics by now which would give us 100% coverage, so I guess there can’t be any new ones.

pad_cdr

Wow,with so many threads on the same topic, its hard to know where to post.

If you want an "authentic" solution for locking a deuce, weld one chain link vertically to the edge of the door, another to the cab door edge next to the first one, paint them green and use a padlock. I was thinking of doing this some time to my deuce, its what we did in Germany back in the '70s.

If I get around to making the mod, I will post pictures, since I know so many of you can't wait to call out for photos. In the mean time, you will need to use your imagination.

peashooter

I just bought some from mcmaster.com
They were Mcmaster part numbers 1226A46 and 1226A64 for $15 each. They are nice L-Handle latches that are keyed the same and one is right hand, one is left hand. you can install them so the handle points down, or point forward (how I did mine). The ones I got from mcmaster were made in england (not china anyway).
1226A46

TehTDK

Do you put one of the locking handles on either side of the door? Inside and outside. Or does each "set" come with a outside side with a key, and an inside without key so you can open the door from the inside?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks