• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking Diff

mudguppy

Travis, Please tell me you do not believe what you find on Google?! ...
seriously? i used google to find forums of folks stating their experience. you do know that there are more forums than this one, right?

and, i'm sorry, what does age have to do with anything? i am so ****ing tired of the condescension on this site if you're not a old codger.

let me get this straight: so, credentials don't mean chit. ok, i'm fine with that. experience doesn't mean chit, either. ok, then what does?

"are you over 55?"

well, then i guess i don't know anything because i'm under 55 and know how to use resources.

... If I have time I will copy the section in the military manual.
yes, please do. and then maybe you can explain what's in there that i did not learn in H8 school or the two deployments that i spent recoverying vehicles in Iraq.

rickf

Travis, I am sorry if I upset you, that was not my intention. I am not questioning your credentials and I want to thank you for your service to the country. I did not come here for a fight, I fought my battles many years ago in a jungle far away. I apologize to anyone I have offended here. Over and out.
Rick

Josh

Ive gotten my landcruiser stuck in the mud many times. A quick punch on the brakes while the tires are spining has propelled the truck out many times. Its open diff, no L/S, no locker. Dont know what to say, I know from personal experiance sitting there spining tires and stabing the brakes a few times has caused my truck to get out of which it not able to with out.

2cents Take it for whats it worth, may not work in all rigs, But I know it sure as **** does in mine.

Last edited:

bulldawg

Back to the question, I thought somewhere that I read about some Air Force units having some kind of traction control. Of course I am much over 55 so I am probably mis-remembering.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M756A2 Oilfield trucks reportedly have Detroits in the back. Wouldn't you know I had the one without them. I can't find documentation to document this in any manual but the tale remains.

wjruth

With an open diff, torque is applied equally to both wheels but the tire with the least resistance will turn. Applying brakes increases resistance on both wheels of an axle. The trick is applying enough brake to increase resistance and enough throttle to still allow you to spin the wheels. This works best on snow and mud. If you apply enough brake to stop the tire spinning you are still applying even torque to both wheels and given enough torque input you should eventually cross a threshold that will cause the opposing tire on solid ground to turn. I have gotten this to work on the street in snow. Works real well when it is the passenger side tire spinning becuase the car wants to rotate that way due to the rotation of the engine. Applying brake force puts more downward pressure on the passenger side, decreases the downward pressure on the driver side which equates to less resistance on the drivers wheel. Lots of factors go into getting this to work ...but on occasion it does work.

Sevin7

Well with all of this rain, surely someone ought to be able to go out and get hung up and document the recovery efforts including this 'brake stabbing' technique. Who will volunteer for such an endevor in the name of Off Roading Science?

Josh

I can this weekend, Im taking my sububan with open diffs out wheeling, Ill do my ****dest to get it suck, but no promises =0. I alrdy got it stuck for a few days up the floorboards, Rather not do that again.

The pictures do no justice.

Attachments

micmccon

I see this as a simple matter to simplify. Open diff allows wheel spin where the LEAST RESISTANCE is encountered. The stationary wheel already has more resistance than the spinning one. Brakes add resistance to both wheels,spinning or not. Without traction control to add resistance selectively to the spinning wheel and not to the stationary wheel, the spinning wheel will just continue to be the path of least resistance. If someone got unstuck by stabbing the brakes, it had something to do with stopping the spinning wheel momentarily and breaking the inertia it once had. Just a thought.

Josh

Heck of a way to treat tbe family wagon. What size rubber on the burb?

35x12.5x16.5 BFG MTS.

Also is running a d60 upfront with a d70 in the rear, only downside is its got 3.73s so its hard to turn em in the mud, but does get some good milage on the road for a landboat.

Ended up taking a rubicon anchored to a tree and a 12k warn winch to get me out. Worst part is, I did that hole the day before in my cruiser on 33s with out getting stuck. Its amzing what 5psi vs 35psi can do.

welding duece

i have been stuck many times, and no mater what i read on here, or who tells me it don't work, i will always try using the braking method before i jump out into the mud. from my past experiences i have found that some times it works and sometimes it don't, but it don't hurt to try. i have been an engineer for about 6 years now and what i have learned in that short amount of time is... you can run physics calculations and use expensive engineering programs but until you actually build it or try it you cant be sure it will hold together or work the way you plan

Josh

Well we went wheeling this weekend, There was a another suburban on 39.5 boggers, open diffs, Got stuck, Alternated smashing the breaks with the thottle and worked himself out.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a most interesting exchange. Although some seem to be taking some of the comments to personal.

So......I will jump into this fray and really "muddy" the water.

All good comments but a major point hs been missed. This started about a deuce, then went to LS and posi-variations, the traction controls. Mostly surrounding the tried and true (yes true) brake stabbing procedure. What has been left out it the difference in the BRAKES. Guys, the brake stab process WORKS with DUO-SERVO brakes, NOT disk, not single servo (like the deuce has). It is the brake force multiplication that make the difference. The multiplication only works on the spinning wheel. THis essentially means that you DO have selective brake operation, like driving a tractor with independent brakes. If you stay in the brakes when the "off side" starts to move you loose the brake imbalance that made it work in the first place.

emr

Maybe he was "power-jacking" to see what it would do. The only M35 series trucks to have factory lockers were sent to Scandinavia on a limited amount of trucks. M35 Tom has a set in his truck. There are a few sets around but their pricey. You want a locking diff, you get a Detroit or a unit from Ouverson.

ALSO do a search and find lots on this topic.
Actually all Marine m 35s had lockers or at least most, and they were not all in Scandinavia :) just sayin. this is true for 5 tons, if U have lockers in either a deuce or a five ton its a Marine truck

emr

I also believe a good driver using his tools and that includes a braking effort to aid in traction works in any diff. Now u must know your truck and how to drive :) [thumbzup] :wink:

ODdave

Actually all Marine m 35s had lockers or at least most, and they were not all in Scandinavia :) just sayin. this is true for 5 tons, if U have lockers in either a deuce or a five ton its a Marine truck
Dose anyone know if the #s on the axles tell this, or another way to tell for shure w/o lifting or moving the truck? I have one truck that has "hoops" on the front bumper and a fording kit. and another one i am going to try to buy has the identical items. I am told these may be marines.........Thanks guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks