• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking Hubs for 5 Ton trucks

jatonka

I am making a few sets of hubs for my trucks. I have been waiting for years for somebody else to do it but I can't wait much longer, I'm getting old.
Here are a couple of pictures. JTa 5ton lockout2.jpga 5ton lockout1.jpg

jatonka

I usually do that when I come up with something new...... but these are going to be expensive and I don't know how many I can afford....... or how much anyone else can afford either. JT

jw4x4

If there is enough interest, could it make them affordable??? I would like to have a set. I also would like some hub steps- round knurled cages that would bolt on the drive hubs. I saw some a long time ago, might have been for deuces.

Rifleman

Are you going to make these yourself on a CNC then have the parts heat treated, or are you going to farm the work out to a machine shop then take the parts to have them heat treated? No matter how you have them made i think you could count me in, i would like a pair when you get them made.

jatonka

The expectation is for Cast Steel outer shells and machined inner parts. Although the polymer engaging mechanisim on the AVM hubs that I convinced AVM to start making work flawlessly, I will be using metal engaging mechanisms on my 5 ton hubs. All of the work will be done in the USA, primarily in Upstate NY. As cost estimates come in, I will be able to figure the selling price. No matter what, I will build some for myself and any one else who wants them. JT out

trukhead

I'm impressed!:doghead: I'd be up for a set if they don't hurt my M931A2 transfer case and you can make them and sell them for less than $1500.00 and they are strong enough to last on these trucks.:driver: and my piggy bank doesn't choke up on me. I haven't even got a top on my truck.

trukhead

From what I've heard, trucks like the M920, M916 burn up the front axles when the trucks are used in rear wheel drive only for extended periods of time. The thrust side of the ring and pinion get lubricated when under load and are flat or perpendicular to the applied load whereas the coast side on the ring and pinion are near a 45 degree angle to the coast-wheel-driven applied torque and seem the get chewed up and necessitate axle replacement.
Is that and issue with the topload 5 tons and deuces, I do not know with their additional set of gears.

Last edited:

jarhead1086

I am interested. You really don't save much money on these sorts of projects at these low batch quantities. Heat treat, plating are usually flat batch charges which helps spread cost, but the tooling and CNC time cost. I am not a businessman and usually underestimate my time and effort to be a nice guy and you know where they finish. I appreciate your impatience and committing publically to this labor of love for your fellow SS. I have a local casting house that does Aerospace and nuclear parts if you need another bid on precision investment casting. Our machineshops locally a not very hungry right now. It can add up fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks