• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockout lube

buddy_holly

Everyone has been making installing lockouts sound super easy, so Id like to do it myself but I dont want to screw it up. Do I just unbolt the old ones and bolt on the lockouts? Do I need to put more lube in there? What kind? Is there anything else I should know about installation before my trucks in pieces and Im lost? Shes my daily driver for now so I cant afford any downtime. Thanks

MO MV man

It really is one of THE easiest things you'll ever do to your Deuce.

The AVM's I put on my deuce really were a "remove the original end cap and replace with lockout assembly" deal.
Don't over-think it.

And OH the improvement.
You're in for a treat.

buddy_holly

The front end is spinning even when youre not in 4X4 so lockouts replace the hubs so the front wheels can freewheel and cause less wear and tear on the axle/front diff. I havent gotten mine on just yet but people also tell me it makes it easier to steer/drive.

MO MV man

Since this job seems so easy and improves performance so much, could I ask exactly what a locker is and what does it do? Not to hijack the thread, but just a little info. Thanks.
A "locker" is a differential.
As in "Detroit Locker".

It's a mechanical ratcheting differential that eliminates the clutches of a limited slip diff.
MUCH stronger but MUCH more aggressive, too.
Most of the time, they "click" when you go around turns as the engage and disengage.
I've used them in MANY vehicles over the years and they're brutally effective and MUCH stronger than limited slip/clutched diffs.

MO MV man

The front end is spinning even when youre not in 4X4 so lockouts replace the hubs so the front wheels can freewheel and cause less wear and tear on the axle/front diff. I havent gotten mine on just yet but people also tell me it makes it easier to steer/drive.
You're correct....without lockouts, even when you're NOT in all wheel drive the front end all the way back to the transfer case is spinning.

Put on lockouts and the entire shebang sits still.
Only the wheel bearings and hub spin.
Tis a beautiful thing.

Yes, it's easier to steer and drive. :driver:

Billy Bobbed

When I mudboged and mud draged we had lockouts before we went to full time lockouts,I would always grease them.When I bought mine from C&C for my deuce he told me to put a little grease in there so I did.Im not sure if the bearing is sealed or not,but it might not hurt.My lockouts made a big differance,my2cents

dcwilkie

Lockout Hubs

I have the Ouverson lockouts on my Deuce and I have to say it was, in my opinion, the easiest modification I've ever done for the amount of pleasure it gives. The Deuce is just so much easier to drive. I can actually get through the NASA parking lot without having to turn a corner, back up, and turn again!
I also installed a lockout on the driver side middle axle. Again, it makes it easier to corner, but I do worry about putting all the driving power on just the rear axle. Probably shouldn't worry though- these are ROCKWELLS f'r cryin' out loud. [thumbzup]
ANYway, I think you'll like it once you try it AND you can relax- smear a little Kendall blue grease (or your own fav) inside the lockout on the splines, lightly grease the o-ring and voila happiness ensues. It really is as easy as you HOPE it might be!:-D
BTW second pic is before istalling the front ones.

Attachments

Last edited: