• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockouts, hubs and where?

dslucas

Ok. I am going to mod my deuce instead of picking up a 5 ton. Had a choice either or. So I am thinking I would like to install lockers.
First question: Do I need them in all three axles? Its my understanding that if I put them in the front and last axle, worst case only one tire will spin, correct? In effect I would still have 5 wheels pulling at all times.

Second question: Assumimg I am not going air lockers, I need to install lockout hubs. I am definately installing power steering but dont want to increase axle stress, tire wear, and want to improve turning radius and mpg.
If I only install lockers in the front and third axle, I should only need lockouts in those axles correct?

This truck see both on and offroad use and is driven often to and from work. I have rhe 395s if that helps. So if I dont have the ideal axle locker and lockout hub configuration, then what would be best?

Eliteweapons

I only know of 3 brands of lockout for the 2 1/2 ton axles. Overson, Selectro and AVM. I don't know if any is better than the other because I only have the AVM's on mine.

You don't NEED lockers in all 3 axles but you can put them in if you want. Depending on what you are going to do with the truck dictates your need to have lockers on the axles. To my understanding typically lockers are only used in the front and far rear axle. The middle needs to be able to "float" when turning to keep from causing axle bind and stressing the torque arms. If offroading alot and need the extra pull you could install a locker in the midaxle with lockouts for on the road use.

If you are planning on putting another locker in the mid axle you would also need a different set of rear axles to use the locking hubs. You wouldn't need lockout hubs for the far rear axle.

Mine is but one opinion and I am sure you will get others with more info on the topic.

dslucas

Yeah. Kind of nervous about air lockers. If the oring blows it seems like it would pressurize my axle seals with 120psi. At least for a second until they blew out. Just an article i was reading.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah. Kind of nervous about air lockers. If the oring blows it seems like it would pressurize my axle seals with 120psi. At least for a second until they blew out. Just an article i was reading.
If your axle vents are working, this isn't an issue. It would also take some time to build air pressure, lots of cubic space to compress.

dslucas

Ok guys. Thanks. Ill consider air lockers. Might be cheaper in the long run if I dont need the lockout hubs. I am assuming they work like a rwfular limited slip unril they are actuated. Correct?

HanksDeuce

Just for reference the going rate on an ARB locker for a Rockwell axle is about $1050 MSRP. I paid $510 for my Ouverson Rockwell locker. So 2 for the price of one. But then you have to add Ouverson lockout hubs at $635 a pair for at least the front axle. Decisions, decisions...

The King Machine

I put AVM lock outs in the front axle. I don't know why I waited so long (price probably)

Easier to steer, less drive line wear, and less drag on the engine. A noticeable improvement.
I will be installing air lockers, I want the control at the flip of a switch.

One thing I notice however with running the 395's is the fact they contact/rub the underside of the bed during extreme articulation. If you were to run lockers it should be considered that in those conditions it is possible to snap an axle shaft.

I'm going to tub the bed slightly when I install my lockers in the rear.

Last edited:

dslucas

My thought was to remove the bed and install 2 s250 shelters in order to buold a camper. Becuase of the shape of the shelters, the large part should sit up a bit higher than the bed, so I am hoping contact will not he an issue during full articulation. I could be wrong of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks