• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Log / Grapple Truck Project

Victor

I am afrade to start this topic, never mind to start actual project. You will see why later.

Here is what I need:
I need to bild a small log truck. Truck will cary some day-to-day timber from job side to collection yard. Later my body who run timber sales for me will come on his BIG log truck w/trailer, pick up timber and drive it to places who buy it.
I know every one need to see some pics. Here is picture of my log guy's truck, not my truck.This solution is too big, too expencive to run, to insure. Ruin yards and even driveways. Fully loaded 120,000 lb. With red oak can reach up to 150,000 lb.
See pic #1,2,3

Here is my other log guy's solution. It's too small. Loader bearly can lift anythink serios for saw mill. Also I can't feed chipper.
See pic #4,5

1. truck must to have small insurance. not like real log trucks ($6.000-$9,000)
2. truck must to have small (relativly speaking) load copacity
3. truck must be able NOT to stock on peoples back yards.
4. truck must to have as less impakt on grass as posible.
5. truck must to have very good turning radius.
6. truck must to have ability to feed my chippers.
7. truck must to have some towing capability.
8. truck must to have loader. loader must to be able to pickup up to 8,000# logs. maximum reach

Any one could suggest some other requarements?

Last edited:

greenjeepster

I looked at the Blueox trailers when I was running my sawmill. They are real exspensive.

Looks like you are running a tree service? Is this firewood or saw logs you are trying to sell? I don't think there are many mills that will buy saw logs from yard trees. They are usually too windswept and full of nails and other junk to make it worth while for them. Any good log grader can spot a yard tree log without even looking twice.

On the truck I think you need something with a single rear axle. anything with tandems is going to wreck a yard and not have a very good turning radius. Prentice 120 loader will serve your purpose and be relatively cheap.

BillF

I saw a 2.5 ton with grapple on it in Colebrook NH at Nash and sons. I am sure it has been junked by now seemed to look like it would have wroked. It was in tough shape when I saw it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many feet of bed space and give us a capacity in pounds instead of "Not too big and not too small". Sounds like you are asking for one truck to do many jobs, economically and gently. It's difficult to sew with a dagger and kill a lion with a needle.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would suggest an M36 (long bed deuce) with a graple loader mounted behind the cab.
Pull a bolster trailer behind it and use the graple to load the trailer and the truck.
You are probably still going to have to carry commercial insurance and that may not be cheap in your area. That combination of truck and trailer may require a Commercial Drivers License where you are also.
Just my 2cents2cents.

jimm1009

W.M. has a good idea there. A M36A2 bed has 5.8 feet more bed space than a standard M35A2 bed according to some reliable intel that I received yesterday in another thread on M36 beds.
The comparison is the S250 shelter that just fits into the standard bed has 70 inches to spare in the M36 bed.
They also have a 2,000 lb. higher GVWR according to the TM (see PDF attachement) which can help you too if you are so inclinded.
The down side is the M36 truck are not nearly as easy to find.
Let us know how things turn out as I also have a good friend wanting to do something similiar here in Louisiana with Cypress logs. ;)
jimm1009

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am afrade to start this topic, never mind to start actual project. You will see why later.

Here is what I need:
I need to bild a small log truck. Truck will cary some day-to-day timber from job side to collection yard. Later my body who run timber sales for me will come on his BIG log truck w/trailer, pick up timber and drive it to places who buy it.
I know every one need to see some pics. Here is picture of my log guy's truck, not my truck.This solution is too big, too expencive to run, to insure. Ruin yards and even driveways. Fully loaded 120,000 lb. With red oak can reach up to 150,000 lb.
See pic #1,2,3

Here is my other log guy's solution. It's too small. Loader bearly can lift anythink serios for saw mill. Also I can't feed chipper.
See pic #4,5

2. truck must to have small (relativly speaking) load copacity
4. truck must to have as less impakt on grass as posible.
8. truck must to have loader. loader must to be able to pickup up to 8,000# logs. maximum reach

Any one could suggest some other requarements?
See #5 above. Very good turning radius and M36A2 is an oxymoron.

Victor

I looked at the Blueox trailers when I was running my sawmill. They are real exspensive....
This on picture, was cost $28,000 new 5 years ago.

Looks like you are running a tree service? ....
Yes I do.

Is this firewood or saw logs you are trying to sell?...
Yes, yes and more: Firewood, saw logs, pulp and rougth cut lumber (some times).

I don't think there are many mills that will buy saw logs from yard trees. They are usually too windswept and full of nails and other junk to make it worth while for them. Any good log grader can spot a yard tree log without even looking twice.
You are right, but timber barons still buying from me. Less money, but better then pay for disposal.

On the truck I think you need something with a single rear axle. anything with tandems is going to wreck a yard and not have a very good turning radius. ....
option 1: Single rear
option 2: Dual rears with one goes up.
option 3: dual rears with one (or 2) steerable

Prentice 120 loader will serve your purpose and be relatively cheap.
I like Prentice 120. Barco and Serco not bad ether. My log guy On picture m has Serco-8000. Awsome toy.

I saw a 2.5 ton with grapple on it in Colebrook NH at Nash and sons. I am sure it has been junked by now seemed to look like it would have wroked. It was in tough shape when I saw it.
I know exactly who you are talking about.:eek:

How many feet of bed space ....
18 feet

...and give us a capacity in pounds instead ...
Maximum 25,000 lb

... Sounds like you are asking for one truck to do many jobs, economically and gently. ...
Yep.

...It's difficult to sew with a dagger and kill a lion with a needle.
Yes we can!
I know, it is hard to have small and big truck in the same setup.

I would suggest an M36 (long bed deuce) ...
Chassis length os OK. Strength ... I don't know.

... with a graple loader mounted behind the cab....
Grapple behind the cab is NO-NO.
Why#1: I can not feed chipper with it.
Why#2: Need to detach trailer to load.
Why#3: In the narow space is better unload firewood with back setup.

You are probably still going to have to carry commercial insurance and that may not be cheap in your area. ...
Yes insurance not cheap. Full size log truck about $6,000-$9,000. I am planing to setup around $2,500.

...That combination of truck and trailer may require a Commercial Drivers License where you are also.
Absolutly!

Just my 2cents2cents..
Any money I will take it.
Another words: When I am sitting home and thinking I have no input. Any suggestion is good one, even wrong opinion is apresiated very much. I mean it.

Roll your 2cents2cents freely.

====================================================
Now here are my thinking:

I spoke with my friend, who is actualy commersial trucks insurance agent. He sad: if I going to build truck and want to avoid big bill for log truck I need to start from smaller truck (33,000-40,000 lb of GVW), preferably build and sold by dealer as a flatbad. Use THE VIN# as a base evaluation. Do not remove flatbad, but install log loader onto chassis. This way you not cheating - you are adding equipment to the flatbad. Also he mentioned to have customers reciept with "flatbad services" on it. To do few jobs as a flatbed delivery truck. I am actualy do use flatbed trailer to deliver some goods ocasionaly.
So flatbad it is.

2. truck must to have small (relativly speaking) load copacity.

All loaders in the fold (ready to drive) position are giving about 6.75 feet of vertical clearence.
Inside of a flatbad, between banks (vertical poles holding logs) is about 7.5 feet.
Timber is sold in 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 feet long. The actual length of log is 6 inches longer. It is for trimming, shrinking pupposes. So the longest log is actualy 16.5 feet. Now, if I have 16.5 feet I'd like to stick 2 8.5 footers together. Plus 1 foot for play. So we came to 18 foot length of actual bad.
So far we have payload:
18' x 7.5' x 6.75'
5 logs across
4 logs height
18' long 1.5' diameter w.pine log weight = 1219 lb
20 logs = 24,400 lb

18' long 1.5' diameter red oak log weight = 1951 lb
20 logs = 39,020 lb
12-13 red oak logs will be about 25,000

Bottom line: payload should be 25,000 lb

All wheel drive.

4. truck must to have as less impakt on grass as pocible.
Big tires, Nice stearing ability. Lift or steer most rear axle.

Cab over usualy gives you better turning. Also they are sorter total length with same length of bad.

Log loader must to sit on very end of chassis, behind rear axle.

I need to install towing hook on rear plate. Sinse we will put loader where this portion of chassis must be strong to support 6,000 lb of loader + toung weight of chipper/trailer.

I guess we cover this already. Just want to some add makes and models of loaders. Prentice 120, Serco 7000-8000. Hood, etc. They all around 6,000# weight. Can be mounted directly on chssis. Required 3000 PSI, 40GPM (galon per minute) hydroulic pump. 26 inch of frame space.

So my next post will be A prototype drawing.

P.S. it is too much writing. Sorry it is boring, but I need to plan before jumping into $$$ project. Did I mention $$$ project?

poppop

I have a friend who mounted an old backhoe behind the cab of his truck to load logs. The reach was not as long as the loader in your pictures but he could load logs onto the truck from either side. It could be mounted at the rear of the truck also. He used the stablizers to hold the truck steady when loading.

greenjeepster

You may be able to find a used sheetrock truck from building supply company. Switch the forks out for a grapple and you are in business. They usually have an extend a boom on those which would make feeding the chipper real easy.

I have also seen those with a lifting tag axle.

Victor

I have a friend who mounted an old backhoe behind the cab of his truck to load logs. The reach was not as long as the loader in your pictures but he could load logs onto the truck from either side. It could be mounted at the rear of the truck also. He used the stablizers to hold the truck steady when loading.
Every week I am using crane with operator. He cost me $100 per hour. Log truck with ability to free crane on time by taking tree from cable, prosess baranches and stuck logs will save me atlist 15% maybe up to 25% of crane bill.

Your idea is good for ocasional hobbist + hwo has old backhoe. I am not plaing games.

What you are showing is an Oshkosh PSL minus one axle.

For the paltry price of $285,000. You to can have one.
Now you are talking. So let take parts and build same one for $30,000.

You may be able to find a used sheetrock truck from building supply company. Switch the forks out for a grapple and you are in business. They usually have an extend a boom on those which would make feeding the chipper real easy.

I have also seen those with a lifting tag axle.
I can find used log truck, but it is not what I need. It does not anwser my needs.

I saw a rig over at Boyce Equipment a few weeks ago- it was an M35A3. They had moved the bed back (looked to be about 4') and installed a grapple behind the cab. It was for a log business in Wyoming. I'm sure you could give them a call and get the details. Looked very reasonable for such a heavy duty rig.

Boyce: Boyce Equipment Axles and Military Parts
No loader behind cab!
Too balky,
Too long truck,
Too short bad.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks