• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lombardini generators

jonster

I spoke to a friend who works on lombardini gensets. Mostly lighting units for night construction. The 9kw marking is the power output of the diesel engine, or about 12.5hp. He said most likely they are Kirsch generators, which usually run at 60 hz at 1800 rpm. However the dc version also runs at 1800 rpm. The lombardini engines, are according to the expert, bullet proof, but they do have vibration issues. He said, the engines never fail, but they rattle the ---- out of the rest of the equipment. hope it helps! Check out polar power.

Last edited:

ETN550

Have you got any information on these. I am trying to confirm HZ on the 903 and have not been able to.
I read the link above. Nice gen sets of good quality. The 903 is listed at 1800 rpm so that would be a 60 hz 4 pole machine. They are direct coupled. Are you looking at a sale of something different than the link above posted?

Doesn't the military have a different "903" in their inventory? A turbocharged Kubota 3 cylinder 3600 rpm 2 pole generator screaming 10 kw at 600 lbs? Used as an APU in a vehicle?

sgt_rjp

So now the auction is gone? It wasn't due to end until Monday but now the links return: [h=2]"Sorry, this is an Invalid Auction ID"[/h]I'm pretty bummed. They looked like awesome generators.
Has anyone else seen this happen on other auctions.

dependable

Looks like they were pulled. Was wondering if this thread was even 'legal' around here before that. They were tagged 1800 RPM, and as was mentioned earlyer, seemed to be assoiated with a light tower set up. I suppose they could be 400Hz if for lighting only, would suspect 60hz, but..Another GL mystry...

ETN550

A while ago I was a pretty regular customer at some of the GL sites. I got to know many of the GL people and got a lot of information as to how their business operates. I noticed some particular sets were pulled from an advertisement, about 10 of one model and a few of another. Just gone. When I talked to the guys on the ground they said that sometimes groupings or individual sets are mis labeled when they hit the line. This causes them to be out of sync with their original schedule which is done upstream. They eventually get re-listed.

Keep in mind that what is in GL has already sat for 6 months or some time period where other government agencies can and do pick through it. Before it is even handed over to GL. Then GL states they have right to pull items, right to negotiate separately. Their only task is to get rid of it. If someone makes them an offer they may take it. Or if someone missed it on the DRMO line then GL might help them out. I do know I was at a base picking up some units and checking the next inventory and I saw a nice unit on a personally licensed trailer in the back corner. The unit had no event number and no lot number. When I asked GL what it was they said they were holding it for a colonel who purchased it.

Much of the really good stuff does not make it from DRMO to GL. I have drooled for 6 months over a stack of MINT 831As in the DRMO yard only to find just 2 of the worst ones getting to a GL auction.

Last edited:

jonster

I am new on SS. I re-read the rules before I posted any responses about the Lombardini generators. I figured because nobody was actually talking about the auction itself, things were okay. My take was, someone wanted to know what something was, not unlike me asking a question about a part that may or may not be up on some auction. In short, I hope I didn't step on any toes.

ETN550

I can assure you there is no network among colonels to get "dibs" at GL. At least not to this one.
Jerry
Hi Jerry, Just saying what I was told. I assumed it may have been purchased from GL outside of the auction process. Which got me thinking about asking GL if they would be receptive to an offer on units processed out of DRMO now into GL's posession, but not yet listed or advertised for an event. I have seen units pulled after advertising and I have seen gaps in the bid numbers indicating something was missing. Something else I was told was that GL "buys" all of their inventory from DRMO and owns it prior to begining the disposal process. Does anyone know about that?