• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Haul Advice?? De. to Oregon

hardtime

Hey Guys, Thanks for some good advice. Here are some more specifics as to what and where I am with this journey. I would with out a doubt have loved to purchased one on the west coast...simply could not find an 814 out there, and the people I got in touch with told me "good luck on finding one of those". I bought it from Sephiro. on S.S, He sold me a really solid truck with LOW miles and was a great to deal with, VERY helpful and honest.
Since I returned from Iraq I have put 500 + miles on her several of which have been loaded. Truck runs and drives smooth, ZERO leaks at this time. I am in the process of doing all pm's and flushing all gear boxes and rears. I will be replaceing all fluids with 20% Lucas stabilizer, new filters all around, new tires, new grease and brake fluid, new MRAP seats with spring bases. New cargo cover for load. Our plan is to take it easy stopping and camping all along the way. My wife will be driving her car with Hounds. Aside from working on all the PM stuff my major concern at this point is getting through the DOT scales. I will have full insurance and tags, but I am certain that she will be over 26k LBS and I have not found a concise way to deal with the vast amount of haze that clouds that issue....Drive the back roads slow and easy and take it all in???? KEEP THE ADVICE COMMING, THANKS

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You are non-commercial.....unless the sign says "All trucks must enter scales" you can just bypass them (I was a commercial driver for many years).

Bear in mind there is a difference between a "weigh station" and an "inspection station" (although sometimes they are combined).....just watch the signs.

Some states have brake inspection pull overs on top of high grades.....trucks are required to stop and check their brakes before decending the grade.....not sure if you will encounter any on your route or not.

The 250 Cummins is an obsolete engine and some parts are now almost impossible to find...especially internal parts. Ask me and Trail Boss how we know.

Having support folks on standby along the route is good advice......as you know from being a member here there are folks that will go the extra mile to help you get your fat out of the fire.

Plan your trip with the intent of going X number of miles a day and have reservations at a KOA (if camping) or similar place ahead of time. That is the way we did on military convoys....allow time to do post trip and pre-trip inspections and maintainence.
Check tires and fluids before leaving in the morning....leaks can develop or show up overnight.

Sounds like the adventure of a life time.......document it and have fun.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Stay off the main thoroughfares and you will avoid most weigh stations. Heck, I bet that you can find a full list of weigh stations and where the are on the Internet so that you can avoid them.

nhdiesel

When I drove my Deuce back from Kentucky, it took me $130 for a plane ticket, $50 donation to the VERY nice SS member who gave me a ride and helped with the recovery, $300 in fuel (not counting the half a tank of WMO I started with, thanks to friend's donations), $40 in tolls, plus food. I averaged 10 mpg. Total cost was around $550-$600 for the 1100 mile recovery. I didn't just do it to save money, I also wanted the experience and the trip. It could have easily cost a lot more if i had even the slightest problem. Now double the fuel cost for the 5-ton, and its up to $900...getting close to what a shipper would charge.

But you said you are doing this for the fun. I had to do my trip with a truck i didn't know, but was in excellent condition. Even so I spent most of a day doing the PM. The others had excellent suggestions re: tools, parts, etc. If you carry everything, you either won't have any problem, or else it will be a major catastrophe that will really end the trip. I'll hope for no problem.

Besides the smaller Pm stuff (fluids, filters, etc.) I would pull all hubs and check seals, grease bearings, and check brakes. Take time to check every wire and hose, and follow them all. From what I've seen, our trucks are notorious for having a wire or hose rub somewhere, and a long trip causes it to rub through. Secure what you can, and use a layer of larger rubber hose to protect what you can't secure.

And last- choose your route early, and ask for contact from any SS member along the way who would be willing to help. Keep a little database with their name, contact info, vehicle(s) they own, and limit of help they can, or are willing, to offer. Trust me, if something goes wrong, you'll want to quickly know that Bob who lives 20 miles away only has an M37 and no garage, but Ken has a crane truck, full shop, and spare parts, but is 50 miles further.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks