• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long road trip, HMMWV-HMMWV towing advice

NormB

On road?

Towbar and safety chains. Medium towbar preferred, but Ibis tech ok for a HMMWV.

Probably not something i want to be doing for the first time under emergency conditions. Consider a rollback flatbed wrecker.

Where does one RENT said rollback flatbed wrecker, or a trailer suitable for towing a HMMWV?

I have spent HOURS on the web and telephone trying to find a RENTAL trailer suitable for hauling my HMMWV. The closest I’ve come is UnitedRentals, but the local office tells me - although it’s on the website - towing a vehicle voids their insurance.

Penske has a trailer that might work, but you gotta rent their 26” truck to use it (max tow weight about 3200 lbs, but I’ve seen the trailer, it’s rated over tiwce that).

I’s spoken to people who have towed their M998/1038’s with a Uhaul vehicle trailer behind a Tacoma with a V6 (I’ll be using a 2500 RAM with 6.7L Cummins Diesel), but no explanation of how they got an 84” width (outside the tires) truck onto a trailer designed for a 72” width.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does one RENT said rollback flatbed wrecker, or a trailer suitable for towing a HMMWV?

I have spent HOURS on the web and telephone trying to find a RENTAL trailer suitable for hauling my HMMWV. The closest I’ve come is UnitedRentals, but the local office tells me - although it’s on the website - towing a vehicle voids their insurance.

Penske has a trailer that might work, but you gotta rent their 26” truck to use it (max tow weight about 3200 lbs, but I’ve seen the trailer, it’s rated over tiwce that).

I’s spoken to people who have towed their M998/1038’s with a Uhaul vehicle trailer behind a Tacoma with a V6 (I’ll be using a 2500 RAM with 6.7L Cummins Diesel), but no explanation of how they got an 84” width (outside the tires) truck onto a trailer designed for a 72” width.

Thanks in advance.

Norm
I have no idea. Sorry.

I transported my hmmwv either by driving it or transported on a heavy gooseneck trailer that I owned.

One option - buy an appropriate trailer and sell it after the move. Losses would be "trailer rent" , and you might even come out ahead.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buying then selling a trailer is certainly one option. You are unlikely to take much of a loss for it with how pricing on stuff is going these days if you can find a used one.

those people that rented the uhaul trailer to tow their HMMWV flat out lied to uhaul in order to do so. They decided it was worth the risk to not have any type of uhaul insurance coverage and be 100% responsible for any and all damage to the trailer if anything happened.

NormB

Buying then selling a trailer is certainly one option. You are unlikely to take much of a loss for it with how pricing on stuff is going these days if you can find a used one.

those people that rented the uhaul trailer to tow their HMMWV flat out lied to uhaul in order to do so. They decided it was worth the risk to not have any type of uhaul insurance coverage and be 100% responsible for any and all damage to the trailer if anything happened.

Yeah, that much I know.

I’ve checked with my insurer (GEICO) and they don’t cover trailers. No, they don’t have a rider, I’m told.
Hagerty, my HMMWV insurer covers the HMMWV while it’s being towed.

Think I can’t figure out is how many (well, 3 or 4) sites advertise as vehicle towing capable, but when I call, the local offices tell me the national website is wrong. I call the national office and they tell me the local site is wrong. United Rentals told me there were 5 of the 16x7 foot trailers in my area, I call the local sites and they all say nope, we don’t have any.

Weird.

I’ll give another look at the buy/sell option.

Thanks for the suggestion.

NB

NormB

Thanks, RWH.

I’ve worked out something with a friend who runs a JEEP specialty shop and has a 20 ft hauler he’ll loan me for a few days this week. He’s booked out for about six months with appointments, pretty sure he won’t need it this week as he has another smaller trailer.

I’ve just got to do this once, with the M1038, and some spare parts, then turn around, load up a cargo trailer I own and do it again, stay on the farm for a week or so to oversee some construction details. Dried in yesterday, working on interior. 15 acre pasture (iPhone camera doesn’t do it justice) with cabin parts.

So close to being home for good I can taste it.

THanks again.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Norm. Happy to see you posting again. Happy for you that you’re retiring on your terms. Sorry Medicine is losing a great doctor.

Enjoy the move and don’t strain yourself.

Then drive that HMMWV like you stole it.

NormB

Norm. Happy to see you posting again. Happy for you that you’re retiring on your terms. Sorry Medicine is losing a great doctor.

Enjoy the move and don’t strain yourself.

Then drive that HMMWV like you stole it.

My immediate neighbor (half mile away) keeps talking about buying a pintle mount for it so we can drive around in the hollers and shoot his M1919.

Um… I don’t think so.

I‘m still licensed, “working” for the same clinic here in MD supervising PA’s (the NP’s keep on killing the patients with their usual arrogant ignorance and kindness but in MD they practice autonomously, without adult supervision), got licensed in TN by the skin of my teeth (needed ONE residency paper from 30 years ago that got in 2 days before the deadline), I’ll likely pick up some urgent care hours, schedule derm procedures, scar revision, ditzel surgeries, etc. as the “midlevels” that work there are limited in what they can and will and want to do.

I cut the heck out of my thumb last fall and called ten places in a 20 mile radius looking for a doctor, finally had to argue with an NP about stitches (you could see joint capsule and tendon), she said it would do well with steri-strips. I mentioned that, as a doctor myself, it was deep enough to deserve sutures. She said “okay, how many?”

Yeah, I can get some work there, but this year, with social security limits and pain issues, and moving, I need the break.

Thanks.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks