• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long term storage of rubber and plastic parts?

Gypsyman

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the long term storage of soft part like rubber seals? I have two items so far that I would like to store safely. A replacement seal for the air cylinder on my Air-O-Matic and a dual circuit master cylinder. I know that many of the military spares are sealed in a heavy foil similar to the Mylar that I use for food storage but what about inserts to protect long term? Would you use an O2 absorber, desiccant pack, both, or maybe neither?

Oxygen is an oxidizer to food products but what about rubber and plastics? On the master cylinder would it be best to store it dry, run a bit of DOT 5 through it first to lubricate the seals, or just wipe the whole thing down with a light coat of brake fluid to help keep the plastic reservoir moist too?

Before you ask, yes, I have a tendency to overthink things.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
If impractical is an option, I was contemplating a sealed storage container purged with clean dry nitrogen with desiccant packs inside it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use one of those food savers that suction out the bag and leave an oxygen absorber in there. I think the prepper wing of civilization might have an answer. As for me, I keep all that stuff in a drum of bacon grease. <----Satire for those who can't see it.

Gypsyman

I'm part of the prepper wing. That's why I already have all of the storage supplies. =)

Unfortunately that side of the world doesn't really discuss the storage of rubber products. Just food and powder.

Gypsyman

I actually downloaded and read that before I posted. Yes, I search and read for days first in the hopes that I won't look like an a**.

All I see in that is the standard cool, dry, and keep away from ozone heavy environments. Unless I missed it I don't see anything regarding the use of O2 absorbers or desiccant packs related to rubber products. I was hoping that someone knew more than what is shown as recommendations on the manufactures websites for standard shelf storage.

I'll just run with what I think is best.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with dessicant packs runs contrary to item #2, a little humidity is a good thing. As to oxygen, it's dependent on the material.

I thought that that guide, post above was pretty complete, this is a summary from another source:

The following recommendations indicate the most suitable conditions for storing elastomeric items, whether as a single item or composite product.

1. Temperature
Storage temperatures should not exceed 50°C. Low temperatures are not permanently harmful provided the rubber items are handled carefully and not distorted. When taken from low temperatures items should be raised to approximately 30°C before they are used.

2. Humidity
Optimum humidity is about 65% in a draft-free atmosphere.

3. Light
Protection from direct sunlight and strong artificial light with a high ultraviolet content is important. Unless packed in opaque containers, it is advisable to cover windows with red or orange screens or coatings.

4. Oxygen and ozone
Elastomeric items should be protected from circulating air wherever possible. As ozone is particularly harmful to rubber, storage rooms should be free from equipment that may give rise to electric sparks or discharge. Wrapping, storage in airtight containers or other suitable means should be used for vulcanised rubber items.

5. Deformation
Where possible, rubber items should be stored in a relaxed position, free from tension or compression. Laying the item flat and avoiding suspension or crushing keeps it free from strain and minimises deformation.

6. Contact with liquid and semi-solid material
Contact with liquids and semi-solid materials, particularly solvents, such as oils or greases should be avoided unless so packed by the manufacturer.

7. Contact with metals
Metals such as manganese, iron and copper, or copper alloys can have a harmful effect on rubber. A layer of paper, polyethylene or cellophane will keep these separated.

8. Contact with non-metals
Contact with other rubbers or creosotes should be avoided.

9. Stock rotation
Elastomers should be stored for as short a period as possible, and strict stock rotation should be practised.

10. Cleaning
Organic solvents such as trichloroethylene, carbon tetrachloride and petroleum are the most harmful agents. Soap and water and methylated spirits are the least harmful, and all parts should be dried at room temperature before use.

11. Shelf life
The table shows the storage life of seal components made from the more common materials under ideal conditions. Storing under less than ideal conditions will reduce the life.

Base polymer
ISO design
Primary storage periodExtension of storage period after re-inspection
Fluorocarbon (FKM)
Ethylene propylene (EPDM)
Nitrile (NBR)
TPU-EU
TPU-AU52
Engineering thermoplastics:
Acetal (POM) / Polyamide (PA)
Glass-filled nylon (PA) / PTFE
Polyphenylene sulphide (PPS)
Unlimited
Engineering thermosets:
T560 bearing strip
Unlimited
Careful inspection of the following should be made before installation after storage:

a. Mechanical damage
b. Permanent distortion
c. Cracks or surface crazing
d. Tackiness or surface softening/hardening

Thin components (less than 1.6mm {1/16in}) tend to be more critically affected.

The appearance of ‘bloom’ is relatively unimportant, except in certain non-toxic applications.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silicone spray or oil. The spray is from all kinds of places, CRC, NAPA, etc. Home Depot, and I am sure other hardware stores, sell 4 oz bottles of silicone oil. When I build up wheel cylinders, master cylinders, air packs or anything that has rubber cups, packing, o-rings, for any storage time, I assemble them with the silicone oil. It will not get sticky or turn to goo and will mix with brake fluids and oils.

For the storage of the parts you have, I would use the oil, not the spray due to the propellants, coat the parts, use one of the blue shop towels and fold it neatly over the parts, maybe some thin cardboard to prevent bending the package, and use your vacuum sealer. If you can find dark bags, that would be optimal so the contents don't accidentally get exposed to sunlight.

Gypsyman

Thanks for the input. I forgot all about silicone oil as a preservative. I have heavy Mylar bags that approximate the original military packaging to eliminate sunlight exposure.

Below is the original master cylinder packaging from Bendix.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks