• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

long term storage of wmo

I'm wondering how long I can store WMO or if it degrades over time? Does anyone have any experience with this? I would store it in a sealed steel drum to prevent condensation.

I know gasoline starts to go bad in as little as a month without a fuel stabilizer. (I store gasoline for my generator and always give it a double dose of fuel stabilizer)

I also recently learned that diesel also needs to have a stabilizer to prevent algae from growing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've had stuff sitting around for years that I've burnt. If anything I've noticed, it helps the crud settle out into the bottom of the container.

cbvet

I'm currently using some I got 3-4 years ago. Runs fine. I don't think it will go bad.

I usually thin my WMO with gasoline, as it's cheaper than diesel. I suppose the gasoline portion of my mix might "go bad", but I sure can't tell it.

I use old 2-cycle mix that's been around a long time too. I filter well & have no problems in my Deuces. My M813 doesn't like a mix of more than 30 percent WMO. Idles very rough. I don't know why.

wdbtchr

Gasoline has higher volitols that will evaporate over time unless well sealed, I use old army cans with new seals and have kept it good over a year without problems. The biggest problem with gasoline that contains alcohol which will absorb moisture from the air and separate out in the bottom taking your stabilizer with it.

I have stored WMO in unsealed totes for years with no problem. In fact I let it settle for a couple of years to get sludge and moisture to settle out so I can drain it off the bottom. Filtered down to 10 microns I run it 100% in my multifuels. and about 15 to 25% in the Cummins in my forklift.2cents

wdbtchr

I haven't seen any algae in my WMO, I suspect the heavy metal traces and slight acidity keep it from growing. The only algae problem I had was in the tank of my forklift in the diesel that had been sitting around 4 years and had about a gallon of water in it.:shock:

eddiec

For storage, go to your local farm co-op and ask for an empty roundup tote. We give ours away. They are sealable, and have a drain on the bottom, plus, if ur lucky, they will have a pump for the tote that doesnt work that u can have. Yep i have a few myself. They hold 250 gallons each, and are stackable when full.

joshs1ofakindxj

I read on here that the oil acidity increases with age and can do harm to nickel coatings on filter mounts.

Not sure if that matters.

I let oil sit for months, and I plan on letting it sit a lot longer.

gungearz

I got a few 55 gallon plastic drums topped off with a mixture of trans, motor, and gear oil in my garage for a few years. Sitting in corner on concrete. No condensation yet.

Kalashnikov

I've gotten like 10 year old gas and WMO and I've had no issues mixing them. Probably used at least 500 gallons of old WMO over the past couple years.

6x6guy

I received 3) 50 gallon containers from a friend, that was marked 18 years ago - home heating
grade 1 - from his place of employment that was in outside storage shed -and used on a government project that was terminated- his company was advised a special removal company would charge big bucks to remove the containers and the contents, so he called me- I was interested and picked up the drums.
I had done some research and obtain information about some studies about 10 year old fuel
stored in containers - as long as the containers are placed in the shade and sealed to keep out moisture, a slight degradation of the potency was noted.
I added the fuel to a couple of trucks, and noticed approximately 15 to 20 percent potency decline of the fuel after a while- still ran good with out any adjustments, 18 year old
home heating oil - you couldn't ask for anything better- well it was free.

When the sh-t hits the fan- unlimited fuel supply in the basements of abandoned older homes burning home heating fuel. :roll:

wdbtchr

I hope I don't sound like a retard, but... Wow! A gallon of water in the tank? Is that all from condensation over time?
The guys at the yard I picked it up at said it had been sitting there around 4 years untouched. The tank was only about 1/2 full when I got it and the water was full of black algae. I didn't find any leaks in the top of the tank so I have to assume it was condensate.:roll:

PsycoBob

Once it's been filtered & dewatered, I'd imagine WMO will last about forever in a sealed container. I use a 3micron filter before loading anything into the truck's tank, anyway.

Unfiltered oil I'd not trust to leave sitting around. Sure, it's nice to let gravity settle water & some of the junk out, but I'd rather clean sludge from my centrifuge than the inside of a closed-head drum... or an open one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks