• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long term storage question?

DanD

A little introduction first. The call me Dan the radiator man. Had my own shop but lost it due to shop was sold out from under me. Now that I'm back at the old homestead. I'm getting back to fixing things again. Seems like all I get to work on is old gennies. Mostly gas. I've rebuilt a single cylinder diesel gen set that was used on a semi when they went to no idling. (it was given to me) It has a yanmar diesel in it. A great learning lesson. Now it sets waiting to be used.

Here lies the question...

With the change in the production of diesel. It no longer has the ability to lubricate old school mechanical injectors and pumps. (even off road red from what I understand) So something needs to be added to the fuel.

Also that the gen sets sit for long periods of time. The new fuel gums up the works.

What IS the best lubricant and fuel stabilizer to keep these gens from gumming up???

The latest gen I'm working on is a MEP-002A. That set for a few years (5 I think) When it was last used it was working fine but when they tried to start it up again. The injector pump and injectors were froze up with gunk and broke the injector pump. (see pic)

Thanks for any help resolving what we ALL are experiencing.

pump shaft.jpg

DanD

More electrical than mechanical, but my mechanic told me a little 2 stroke oil goes a long way
Funny you say 2 stroke oil as I use it in the gas gens if they have been sitting awhile. Helps lube up the rings and valve guilds. Just don't think it would also help for storage. As most of the saws I work on are gummed up from it sitting in them.

thanks for the reply...

Ray70

Uh oh! the picture you show is something I know all too well! Broken plunger on a "Non-Serviceable" American Bosch PSU injection pump. Unfortunately, unless you have a spare in your hands, you are going to have to replace the injection pump with an Ambac M-50 pump.
There are no parts available for the short-lived American Bosch PSU and it is no supported by Ambac.

DanD

Uh oh! the picture you show is something I know all too well! Broken plunger on a "Non-Serviceable" American Bosch PSU injection pump. Unfortunately, unless you have a spare in your hands, you are going to have to replace the injection pump with an Ambac M-50 pump.
There are no parts available for the short-lived American Bosch PSU and it is no supported by Ambac.
So it is a very common problem. You would think that some one would come up with a formula to add to the fuel to stop it. Beginning to think it's a trade secret.

Guess Sta-bil is the only game in town.

mesias

I'm planning on treating my fuel storage (off-road) with Diesel Kleen and Biobor JF. Then run the genset loaded for 30 min or so, four times a year.

Chainbreaker

What IS the best lubricant and fuel stabilizer to keep these gens from gumming up???
Asking what is the best fuel additive is like asking what is your favorite beer? Your probably going to get a lot of answers.

As an additive for lubrication and cleaning injectors, etc. I like "Optilube XPD". I add it to all my diesel powered equipment. As far as keeping the fuel treated to prevent microbial algae growth you want a Biocide, I use "Biobore JF"

First though, your going to have completely go through the MEP-002a fuel system if its been sitting for 5 years. Depending how it sat for those 5 years, dry (mothballed) or with fuel in tank your in for some work. At a minimum for the fuel system, inspect & clean fuel tank and auxiliary sender/float mechanism in tank, fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel lines in addition to fixing/replacing the broken injection pump. When you first attempt to start it I would pour in a can of Seafoam, some put it in the last fuel filter cannister so its more concentrated and let the fuel pumps run for a while circulating the Seafoam/Diesel mix back to tank and then let it sit for a while to get some solvent action working. If it doesn't start, injectors could be frozen and you might have to remove those and free up or replace them.

I would also inspect all the wiring: wiring harness including inside the control panel box making sure every terminal screw is tight, no cut wires and no foreign objects left inside control panel (loose screws, nuts, washers, pieces of wire or what have you).

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

Asking what is the best fuel additive is like asking what is your favorite beer? You probably going to get a lot of answers.

As an additive for lubrication and cleaning injectors, etc. I like "Optilube XPD". I add it to all my diesel powered equipment. As far as keeping the fuel treated to prevent microbial algae growth you want a Biocide, I use "Biobore JF"

First though, your going to have completely go through the MEP-002a fuel system if its been sitting for 5 years. Depending how it sat for those 5 years, dry (mothballed) or with fuel in tank your in for some work. At a minimum for the fuel system, inspect & clean fuel tank and auxiliary sender/float mechanism in tank, fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel lines in addition to fixing/replacing the broken injection pump. When you first attempt to start it I would pour in a can of Seafoam, some put it in the last fuel filter cannister so its more concentrated and let the fuel pumps run for a while circulating the Seafoam/Diesel mix back to tank and then let it sit for a while to get some solvent action working. If it doesn't start, injectors could be frozen and you might have to remove those and free up or replace them.

I would also inspect all the wiring: wiring harness including inside the control panel box making sure every terminal screw is tight, no cut wires and no foreign objects left inside control panel (loose screws, nuts, washers, pieces of wire or what have you).

Best answer: Free Beer

Scoobyshep

Here lies the problem. Most people don't even think about their gen sets till they need it.
Yea.... Tis an unfortunate thing. The people I help get one setup usually get an annoying text from me once every few months to go give their gen set some attention (this is more so they wont bug me at 3 am when the power goes out).

DanD

Asking what is the best fuel additive is like asking what is your favorite beer? Your probably going to get a lot of answers.

I prefer rocket fuel aka home made shine. Anything above 120 proof. To bad they have been putting it in the gas and screwed up a lot of old equipment...

Good information for the future if I run into another diesel gen that's been sitting. I've already cleaned out the fuel system. Even built a pop tester for the injectors that I rebuilt. They set and ready to install. It does have 2 wires that I need to fix and will.

thanks for the suggestions on using optilube XPD and biobore JF. I will ask my napa man about them.

Chainbreaker

BTW, if you can't find Optilube and Biobore at NAPA or other Autoparts stores, you can always find it online and possibly cheaper.

fa35jsf

So I use PRI-D for the stability and lubrication part, Lucas fuel treatment for added lubrication, and Bio-cide (I think that’s the name?) to prevent algae.

I have a 55 gallon drum that’s going on 3 years. I check it twice a year. No deposits, no gumming, no floaters. Literally the same as when the fuel went in 3 years ago. Run my generator on it from time to time and it never has problems. Biggest thing is buying the fuel from a station that has fresh fuel (but tanks not filled in the last few hours) and keeping your fuel air tight.

My process is an expensive way to go since those products are not cheap, but it works for me. However, I live in an area where we only drop below freezing for about 20-30 days a year at most. So if you live up north, you may need to do something different for gelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks