• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long term storage

Hey guys question for everyone what is the procedure for long-term storage on MEP diesel sets
Do I leave it fully fueled do I empty the tank aside from disconnecting the batteries what else am I supposed to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well how long of a term are we talking? Fuel (and subsequent breakdown, as well as algae bloom) are two of your biggest concerns (as well as the soft parts of the fuel system). And how do you intend on keeping the batteries charged.... solar array?

Tell us more about what you are trying to plan for, and we can see if there is a consensus.

Well how long of a term are we talking? Fuel (and subsequent breakdown, as well as algae bloom) are two of your biggest concerns (as well as the soft parts of the fuel system). And how do you intend on keeping the batteries charged.... solar array?

Tell us more about what you are trying to plan for, and we can see if there is a consensus.
Seasonal storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilphrog

One thing to think about would also be to give everything a decent coating of ACF-50 or Corrosion-X (or any other ultra thin film CPC - these can be found under MIL-PRF-81309G); they are electronics safe and are good for 2 years and pretty much stop any corrosion from setting in. This is good stuff if you're in a sub-tropical environment such as Florida.

I've seen a few photos on here of folks dropping in some VCI capsules to help protect stuff as well.

Last edited:

Keith_J

I would recommend stable fuel like jet A or canned kerosine. Still the best storage is weekly running to operating temperature and monthly load test. Keep the fuel tank full as temperature changes cause air movement into and out of the tank. The air going in is humid, this will condense.
You can get fuel tank socks to absorb humidity but with fuel containing biodiesel, these don't work well.

For seasonal storage, a full fuel swap twice a year is best. Drain from the bottom and swab out the tank. If you find rust, FIX IT. POR tank liner works great, follow the instructions.

Chainbreaker

Its a bit of a conundrum...if you prep the generator for off season dry storage (non hurricane season for you) you face the following potential issues:

• The generator is not getting exercised. Unless you purge the fuel system you will have stale fuel sitting in the injection pump & lines possibly gumming up the works.

• It's not being routinely heat cycled to drive out moisture, insects & vermin and it sits without distributing lubrication to internal metal surfaces (rings could stick).

• Unless you exercise your genset routinely (monthly or I would suggest minimum of every 90 days), you won't know of any problems that might have cropped up that need to be addressed before a need arises.

• If you encounter a local grid failure, substation issue or car hits nearby pwr pole, etc. you have some work to do to bring your genset out of moth ball storage...possibly in the dark.

On the other hand, if you always have a genset "at the ready" you need to manage the following:

• If not fuel cycling, burning through enough fuel or pumping out & using in another diesel engine at least every 6-12 months or so (especially in a humid warm climate) fuel must be treated (at a minimum w/biocide) and managed by topping off to near full and draining any sediment & water that condenses inside.

• When doing your PM run you need to run it with a load so that means hooking to either your house, a load bank or other 240V device such as a garage heater, old oven, etc. so its being run with a good load. Diesels need to be worked...loaded, not idled.

Regardless of off season storage or not, in order to get the maximum life out of your batteries its best to keep them on a battery maintainer. I like using two 12V Battery Minder 1500's so each battery gets maintained independently of the other. There are other great alternatives used by many members here.

Bmxenbrett

Seasonl storage for these is prety much just turn the key off. Of corse batterys always like some kind of charge and fuel should be treated.

Dont over think storage its not a carburated gas engine.

justacitizen

i usually just change the oil no matter how few hours are on it and top the fuel tank completely to the top with an additive that prevents algae. disconnect the batteries and take them to a bench were i can keep them maintained or use them on another piece of equipment. and put it in an insect and rodent free environment that is dry. never had a problem,but i am not storing for Loooong term either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks