• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long time on and off Lurker

Chromicide

Hi I was just looking at my profile and I apparently joined up 13 years ago as I've long liked military vehicles but I never owned one until now. Back in August I acquired a GMC 452-30 that I believe to be a 1952. It didn't come with a title and the original door jamb data plate is long gone. However the original Military data plate is still present on the dash indicating it was originally in service with the Air Force. It also lists it as a Truck Tractor 2.5 ton 4x2. Information on this old GMC has been rather hard to come by so far. I shall try to post pictures but they may be too big. Anyway I figured it was about time I said hi.20230813_140633.jpg

Attachments

Chromicide

Thank you. This is going to be a long term project but yes my goal is to return it to it's original Air Force colors. I'd love to keep it as original as possible however a new cab is definitely in order as the original one is pretty much beyond repair between the tree damage and the rust rotting it away. I'm going to try and post some more pictures as soon as I resize them to be more agreeable lol.

Chromicide

The engine is a GMC 302 straight six and and the transmission is a Clark 205V five speed manual with fifth gear being direct drive. The rear end is a two speed unit I haven't been able to identify yet. It appears to be electronically shifted as there is a button on the gear shift that reminds me of Mad Max and there is a cord coming out of the shift solenoid. Also I never knew I was fond of these 50's trucks until a coworker offered me this one at work one day.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That red button powers a "split rear axle". Brand. Who knows, but I would guess there will be a tag on the side of the rear end. Short version is that most times - unless really heavily loaded - you can run in low (button down) and shift to high when you are making about 40/45.

The Ford 550 (1989) has that same button and is called a split axle in the manual.

There is a little box on the side of the front side of the rear axle that pushes a small gear up and down. Makes a rat-a-tat sound if you are trying to move it to low range if you are going to fast for that speed.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That red button powers a "split rear axle". Brand. Who knows, but I would guess there will be a tag on the side of the rear end. Short version is that most times - unless really heavily loaded - you can run in low (button down) and shift to high when you are making about 40/45.

The Ford 550 (1989) has that same button and is called a split axle in the manual.

There is a little box on the side of the front side of the rear axle that pushes a small gear up and down. Makes a rat-a-tat sound if you are trying to move it to low range if you are going to fast for that speed.
Yea it just split each gear so you there wasnt such a big gap between a reg 5 speed shift !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Or you could ask one of the moderators to move and rename your thread to something like 1953 Air Force GMC 452-30 or something similar.

Just use the "Report" button and ask to have it moved.
The guys generally respond to that sort of stuff pretty quickly.

I could report it but if YOU do it, that confirms your willingness to do what I am describing...

Chromicide

@Chromicide , if you start a separate build thread (which I would recommend), please post a link to it here. I'm looking forward to this build.
When the time comes I would be glad to start a build thread in the appropriate section. However that is probably going to be a long ways off yet as I have a lot of other financial priorities right now. I was just trying to finally introduce myself and share a few pictures of my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks