• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Longest lasting and most reliable 5 ton

m31426

I was looking to get a 5 ton and was going to use it for a bit of everything
and was wondering which one has the most parts availability
and the smallest and least problems between the m813 and m923. ( a1 a2 )
and which one is more of a start and go truck that I won't have to worry about a lot with
I heard the m923 has some rust problems does the m813 have any

162tcat

I would definitely agree that it's all in how it has been taken care of. But in my experience, the build quality on my older 5 tons was superior. The only advantages you have on the newer trucks is better (modern) engines and brakes. Anything I've owned that has been through RRAD is crap it seems. The pride and quality of work is nonexistence. Covering everything with another thick coat of CARC is not a fix all.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've owned 800 and 900 series trucks. The rust issue is mostly about where the vehicle is from. Northern vehicles and vehicles from coastal areas are going to have more rust than trucks from the west and south. Tactical miltary vehicles spent 95 per cent of their time in the Motor Pool waiting to go out in the field. My preference for the 900 series trucks has to do with the comfort, ease of getting parts, noise level (my truck has the 8.3 Cummins) and the flip front end. I always hated standing on my head when working on the engine of my M816 wrecker. Parts for the 900 series are somewhat easier to find if you go to NAPA or Fleetpride.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's an 80s truck. They are just as reliable as any other American made 80s truck. If you regularly inspect and maintain it then it will serve you well. They are not Honda Accords. I personally prefer the a2 with the 8.3 turbo motor it is quiet and easy to turn the power up a little. Plenty of guys prefer the nhc250 motor though.

VULCANGUNNER

I would definitely agree that it's all in how it has been taken care of. But in my experience, the build quality on my older 5 tons was superior. The only advantages you have on the newer trucks is better (modern) engines and brakes. Anything I've owned that has been through RRAD is crap it seems. The pride and quality of work is nonexistence. Covering everything with another thick coat of CARC is not a fix all.
When was the last time you were at RRAD? I have two 931's I got from there & they ran 90 miles in 105 deg. heat just fine.

My trucks were sabotaged I think. The air dryer outlet fitting was busted off so zero air pressure. BOTH of my 931's had the exact same fitting broken in exactly the same place. I used the emergency trailer line to connect the dryer outlet to the wet tank & drove them right out.

I'm about to drive them 650 miles, anybody got any pointers?

I am a mechanic that has worked on 5-tons, Hemmets, M113 series, & Bradleys & still have all the huge hand tools.

Thanks

162tcat

I've never been to RRAD but I've owned 9 trucks that had a "depot level" overhaul there. Almost all had the same issues. Air lines hooked up wrong, air leaks all over, oil leaks, CARC over spray or too much on inportant items such at lug nuts and lots of other minor issues. Almost all of which can be fixed at no to little cost, just shows the quality of work. I guess new tires and a spray job is considered an overhaul these days.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe the depot rebuilds are dependent on the receiving units working the "kinks" out of the "new" trucks. They strip, paint and replace anything obviously in need and sometimes re-use parts they probably shouldn't. There are some quality control issues there. It's the same everywhere though it comes down to the individual doing the work or the guy who checks and signs off on it. I have a 2012 rebuild that came out of rmsms and it had the same little issues. I also gave a truck rebuilt by Kansas readiness in 09 they did a really nice job, new motor and no issues to date. Plus there is the issue of intentional sabotage I have seen that before. Taking out gaskets or o rings so stuff leaks. I had a rebuilt truck that the shift linkage was reversed on the shifter assembly the whole shift pattern was backwards it was kind of funny actually it took me a bit to figure that one out.

Rifleman

I have a RRAD overhaul and i think it's all in the luck of the draw. So far the only problem i have had with my truck was a small oil leak from one of the pinon seals. All it took to fix that problem was to tighten up the bolts. I do have to agree with you on the amount of paint they put on everything. It seems anytime i have to tighten up any nuts and bolts i first have to clean off all the "extra" paint before i can even get a wrench to fit.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the 809 or the 939 5-tons. Depends on what you want to do with it. They both rust..........

I like the sound of the 14 liter Cummins over the little 8.3. :)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I chained up my 931a2 to 32K plus pounds of concrete on a sled and mashed the gas and the truck performed flawlessly. Do the trucks have little quirks yes but they are all battle proven vehicles

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Steve says, nothing like the purr of nhc250, that combined with M809 manual transmission will pull anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks