• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Longevity of These Trucks

deshet

These trucks seem to have parts used in some of the Over the Road commercial trucks. It seems that most have well under 20,000 miles. How long will these trucks typically last? What are the weak links?

I have seen complaints about injector cups and other small things on the engine but that is usually well over 200,000 miles.
I have seen a few posts up here about front covers with extremely low miles.
Is the AWD system the weakest link? I would think that it is the most specialized portion of the drive train; probably the least commercially tested portion. The 7 speed Allison seems like it ahead of it's time. I think allison mainly built mechanical 4 and 5 speeds when the LMTV was first introduced. I am not familiar with any other earlier 90's allison 7 speeds. Is our transmission an upfitted Allison World transmission? Let me know what you think; or point out the problematic areas of the drive train.

Do they issue a B50 for these? Is a 100,000 miles a stretch or should they go to 500,000+. I guess we would know if fuel wasn't so expensive.

Longevity

Thanks,

Last edited:

coachgeo

These truck seem to have parts used in some of the Over the Road commercial trucks. It seems that most have well under 20,000 miles. How long will these trucks typically last? What are the weak links? ....,
From Reading in here the weakest link is the vehicle maintainer's knowledge in vehicle electronic repair. Engine comes after that.. only cause it's not a super high mileage engine but adequate. Engine is better than adequate if you baby it. Tied with Engine, maybe second ahead of it in line; is drive shafts. Maintain them well and be very versed on measuring how much play they have (Hinge test). Shaft vibration causes $pendy Tranny/Tcase failures. AWD is strong link.

Again this is from reading and not real world/road experience ..... well except the $pendy damage from driveline vibration :whistle: :oops:.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I would argue the statement about engines the 3116 has a 100k top end adjustment interval. We run their younger brothers the c-7 in a fleet of fuel trucks quite successfully .Most engine problems come from stuff added by the truck builder like fuel filters I seen this engine in construction equipment run many thousands of hours, cat says the engine should be good for a million miles. The only draw back I see is they are thirsty engines a 6b or c will use less fuel and start better in the cold I have no real fears with the yellow engine. Just as cat had a batch of bad blocks in the 3126 series cummins had some block issues with vp 44 equipped engines. the moral to the story is take care of the engine don't ignore fuel and oil leaks it will serve you fine for many years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks