• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Longshot question...

ojsdna744

My M1009 died a few days ago on me. Ran fine in the three weeks that I owned it, then just didn't start one morning. (And it's not even cold here yet) Glow plugs at least appear to be operating normally, I realize from carousing through posts that the glow plugs are USUALLY the culprit. From the drivers seat, they appear to heat the normal amount of time and then shut off. Any normal failure that's fuel related? Or do I just eat up my printer ribbon ripping off a handy copy of the applicable tm and go at it? Thanks for any tips, I know it's a long shot but I just thought I'd ask.....

-20 TM right? :roll:

mangus580

Start with the glow plugs.

First, make sure they have power getting to the glow plugs when the wait light is on (and solenoid is active). If you have power here, check each glow plug to make sure they work. This can be done with a standard 12v test light. Connect the alligator clip to the positive terminal of your front battery, and touch the probe to the wire connection of the glow plug (glow plug must be unhooked). If the testlight lights, the plug 'should' be good. If you dont have a test light, another way of testing them, is to actually pull them out, and test them.

If the glow plugs all test out (even 2-3 bad an cause a no-start situation), I would suspect that you have an air leak. For air leaks, I am going to refer you to Removing Air Leaks, @ dieselplace.com. This is about the most comprehensive guide I have seen for removing air leaks in a 6.2 fuel system.

I would suspect the glow plug system, even though it hasnt gotten that cold out, I can tell you mine wont start even on alot of summer days without them.

ojsdna744

Thanks for the "quick and dirty!" That's just the kind of tip I need to get me pointed in the right direction. If it doesn't rain tonight, I'll check it out. Thanks!

gasser

After cranking it, see if you get diesel coming out of the valve ontop of the Filter housing. Like a steady stream, with/out air, or nothing at all. The latter being I would think 100% of your problem.

If it's cycling through, and you see your voltmeter take a hit during that time, then I say it's no the GPs - as they are drawing the current.

Now, I have done the following a few times with no issues but some people say no way, but with the GP system totally unplugged, you could do a shot of ether or WD40 down the intake and see if it fires. If it doesn, then it's the GPs and/or component of the GP system. But please, please you must have the GP system totally unplugged or you will damage the engine.

HTH,

-graham

ida34

I am working 6 days a week now but let me know if you need some help. Is it anywhere near Ann Arbor? Did you see any deflection of the volt meter when the glow plug light is on? On the newer cucv I got the relay would make the click but it was not making contact internally. You could see that the draw of the plugs was not present by watching the volt meter. Good luck. I hope you did not get stiffed.

CCATLETT1984

By the way these starters don't suddenly die, they slowly start to degrade. mine got bad enough that it was having a hard time starting the truck this week, so I swapped in a rebuilt one and what a difference. its like a new truck!!!

ojsdna744

I sure appreciate the offers to help! I'm going to drag it back to my dealership within a week or so and then try to figure it out. Holding a flashlight and poking randomly with a test light just isn't my cup-o-tea. I'll wait and figure it out inside a nice warm garage soon. (Did I mention that I'm fat and lazy?)

Thanks again everyone, I'll let ya know when I actually try to get it fixed!

Armada

Give me a call Don when you get ready to take it to the garage. Seriously, I'll come and help. I've got alot of spare parts. Do you need to borrow the tow bar? We can tow it with my duece too if yours is not available.

Armada

Yeah, right after the Clare show. I put another expandable plug in it. No problems since. I put the cargo cover back on a week or so ago too, and added a 90 deg. elbow on the intake. It's pretty much ready for winter now except the hard top is not back on yet.
The intake elbow should work great. Whenever the snow piles up on the fender it plugs the mushroom cap and it won't start. Shouldn't have that problem anymore.

ojsdna744

Nothing yet Chuck,

Thought maybe I ran it out of fuel because I put 10 gallons into the tank and the fuel gauge didn't move. (Another mystery for another day) Tried the quick and dirty air bleed this weekend by opening the fuel filter drain and cranking it.....no dice. Going to tow it into my shop this weekend and see what exactly has happened..........hopefully a little time with a test light should tell the tale....if not, I'll have to call in the Paul-a-na-ter! (He said he'd help if I need it)

I hate working by flashlight, and it's @ a location without a garage. I work retail hours....it's always dark by the time I can get to it!

(I'll swap a rear window crank swap as well)

I'll post up when I figure it out... :(

ida34

I have may an extra fuel sending unit if you need it. Mine happened to be a bad gauge instead of a bad sending unit so I have an extra out and ready to go. I just need to find it. Check the TM. The have a very nice flow chart on checking the sender. There is a connector on the driver's side that you can get too from the rear driver's side wheel well. Disconnect it and the gauge is supposed to peg one way or the other. Then you ground the connection and it should peg the other way. Mine only went halfway up when it was supposed to peg. I needed a new gauge. I figure you want to get it running first before you start messing with the gauge.

If you find out you need a sending unit let me know and I will try to find the one I have. We can work a swap for the handle. No hurry on that either. I still need to get stuff on my F350 fixed before I get around to working on the new CUCV.

ojsdna744

finally had a chance to look at this.......glow plugs tested good, although I didn't pull any of them to visually inspect them......I then moved to the fuel system since my gauge went south @ the same time it quit.....tried to bleed the system by cranking it the other night....first @ the fuel filter, then @ the injectors.....nothing.

Followed the link provided above by Mangus (god bless you boy) to bleed the air....used air to pressurize/prime the system all the way through.....worked absolutely beautifully. :D I can't thank all of you enough for the help!! I'm now on my way to that site to also spread my thanks. Special thanks to those in the chat room the other night that were coaching me along.....

My sending unit checks good in the tank, so I also have to get a gauge!! I PM'd the guy selling one in the classifieds....so hopefully it's still available!

I'm so happy to be back in the old girl again!! :driver: Thanks all!!

ojsdna744

Update: It quit the next day....drove it someone's house, left it in the driveway for about 4-5 hours, wouldn't start again...acts like it's out of fuel again. (It's not) Chuck suggested maybe an air leak, I'll check for that next opportunity I get. :x

At least I got to drive it for a few hours, the good news is I have a deuce to constantly drag it back to my shop to try and fix it! :roll: Geez what a pain!

mangus580

You certianly have an air leak. The top known spot for them in the CUCV's is the fuel pressure switch on the bottom of the filter housing. Your leak is most likely between the filter housing an the injection pump. Using air to pressurize the system from the fuel tank, really should point out where its leaking from. By pressurizing from that far back, you should be able to see seepage from where its sucking air in.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
As a kid once we were down at the dump shooting rats with our 22's and a bum was down there rooting around in the garbage, I saw him pick up an old grapefruit half and put it in his mouth, he then spit it out and looking right at me with all three teeth blurted out "it's rotten" I swear I almost shot him and what he would not do for a ham sandwich.. Hope you get this fixed and happy Thanksgiving , I am looking for a homeless person to give some food to to make up for my bad thoughts at the dump years ago.