• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look at a M1008...

taildragger03

Hey Guys,

May have found a M1008. Read around this site and I came across a write up about being aware of purchasing a military vehicle that has not been registered yet with the state and that the price should be reduced $300. The seller guarantee's that this truck will register in any state. I had this issue with my M101A1 and had the guy I bought it from register it in his state and just transferred the title. Would like to here your thoughts on this.

Thanks

91W350

I would pay him the title fees and tell him you will take it after he has it registered. There are ways to get a title in a lot of states, but most of them are not really cheap and some require multiple inspections and a lot of time. Title problems can be a real hassle. Glen

fitz

I think people run into problems because they buy a CUCV from GL or GSA and try to resell without getting a title in their name.
I know in Mass you cannot transfer a vehicle on the SF97 unless you are a dealer. A private owner must take the SF97 to the DMV and apply for a title before they can sell the vehicle.
I sure the laws change from state to state.

Last edited:

Milbikes

My experience has been that Motor Vehicle departments only accept paperwork that is state produced, which shows an unbroken trail of ownership from day one, to you.

An example might be an SF97 from Gov to him. There is no place on it for a second assignment of ownership to you, so you would need him to register it in his name, and then provide you with whatever his state calls for. Examples: His registration signed over to you, along with a notarized bill of sale from him to you; or his title signed over to you, with bill of sale from him to you. If you can't show YOUR DMV a solid state agency generated paper trail of ownership to you, I would be really sure you can register it with what he offers.

States vary, some are really easy to register old stuff in. Others are really tough (NJ for one). I am in CT, which is pretty easy on old stuff. I have bought a few things from NJ that the owners could just not get registered no-way, no-how. I was able to get them registered here.

I have heard that some DMV's are cracking down on "title services" that you see in Hemmings etc. I know a guy who bought a motorcycle with no paperwork, and got a title from a title service, and his DMV refused it and put his VIN 'in the system' so that if he tried at another branch, it would be red-flagged. Buyer beware/informed.

K9Vic

I bought 3 CUCV at the last local GSA auction and they came with a SF97 in my name. The next day I went and transferred them all into my name at a cost of about $125 each. This is the only way I can sell them as I would then have a Texas vehicle title. In Texas and I am sure most to all states you can not register a vehicle that is not in your name on the SF97. So that being said, do not buy a CUCV if the seller does not have a title in his name, or you may end up with a parts truck.

mtjbrown

I bought my M1031 from a used car dealer, he had already done the title work and he transferred the title into my name at purchase time. Took about 2 weeks for title to get to me in my name. One reason I was happy to go through a dealer. However, I have been looking at a M1009 at another car lot, this guy absolutely refuses to get title in his name, says the "govt. paper" is I will need.:roll:

91W350

I know if it is 1949 or newer in Kansas, I would not buy it without a good title, unless it was for parts.... A dealer can get a title on a bill of sale if it has no Kansas history, is older than 1975 and is not listed as stolen in NCIC. I am not sure how the passing of the "government papers" works. I know on my two M715s that I picked up from GSA, I registered them in my name as the paperwork was in my name and I do not remember a provision to pass them on. Title problems here can be a real hassle. Glen

fitz

I registered them in my name as the paperwork was in my name and I do not remember a provision to pass them on. Title problems here can be a real hassle. Glen

The SF97 does not have a provision to pass the vehicle on to the next guy. In Mass dealers have a Title reasignment forum that they fill out that they attach to the SF97 that lets them transfer ownership to the buyer.
As far as a privat party sale, they cannot transfer ownership on a vehicle on the SF97, they must pay sales tax and apply for a title in their name.

greg6459

I bought 3 CUCV at the last local GSA auction and they came with a SF97 in my name. The next day I went and transferred them all into my name at a cost of about $125 each. This is the only way I can sell them as I would then have a Texas vehicle title. In Texas and I am sure most to all states you can not register a vehicle that is not in your name on the SF97. So that being said, do not buy a CUCV if the seller does not have a title in his name, or you may end up with a parts truck.

+1!

2deuce

When you buy anything from GL, the sf97 is not in your name. You need the bill of sale they send with it. I think you should check with your DMV before you end up scaring buyers needlessly. I say why pay for 2 titles when you need only 1. I have titled SF97's that aren't in my name.

Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks