• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look what I just won on GL only 50 hours on it

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was keeping track of this and won it today:

STUDEBAKER MDL MEP-017A GENERATOR, METER INDICATES 50HRS, W/ HERCULES MDL 2A042III 2CYLINDER AIR-COOLED, 4CYCLE, GAS DRIVEN ENGINE

I am hoping to make this the round out on my duece to supplement the inverter charger already mounted under the seat. If anyone has one and has any pointers please let me know.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It only had the generator in th lot but it now gives me 3 phase capability too which is one reason I wanted to win it. I am assuming it was just rebuilt or was in a National Guard equipment cage somewhere and only powered the Battalion Commanders latrine with so few hours on it. I will fire it up and post follow up when I pick it up.

m38inmaine

I had a couple of those 5Kw gensets, looks like they upgraded the oil filter to spin on. I have some new plugs if you need them, think I have some TM's as well. Good find.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, very nice! :beer:

Powered latrines!? Awesome!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice score David! It looks very fresh so hopefully it won't give you any trouble. I rebuilt and sold 3 MEP-016C sets back in 2001. They were a little different animal than yours, but most of the military standard engines are tough and well-built.

So, what exactly is powered in the latrine? Are we talking AC or something else ;)

acetomatoco

Folks, his comment re the latrine was, of course, in jest. A way to indicate that it did not get much use... The enlisted men used a angle head flashlite, one each, to do their duty.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
All I can say about powered Officer quarters is that in Desert Storm we had two M 109 vans dedicated for high ranking officers that the engineers dug into the sand. They were complete hotel rooms on wheel and had power hooked up to them. Now being a country boy I did not like that idea of being so low in the desert at least not without some kind of berm to keep water out when it rained. Needless to say rain it did one night and all the water that fell within a mile of that place was headed strait for those two holes. As the 1 Star looked out from his hooch he yelled get a pump and pump this out. The Colonel who's van was next to the Generals was filling too but not as fast. The Sergeant said we only have a fresh water pump and the General said I don't care get it and pump this out. As they went to get the pump I grabbed a couple of Soldiers and took off in a HMMWV to the sand bag stockpile and in the pouring rain loaded the back full of sandbags. We got back just as the pump arrived and by now the water was almost even with the desert floor. We sandbagged the point where the water was coming in to stem that tide but the vans were very close to having the floors wet. The pump did its job but never again pumped fresh water for us... that is another story

When the rain stopped the situation looked bad for the Colonel who did not have a fold down porch on the back of his truck like the General did. One of the Captains took a table the Soldiers had built and tossed it down into the pit for the Colonel to jump on to get out. He just shook his head and went back to bed.

I had gotten all the convoys out so I drove over to the dunnage pile and loaded up a couple sheets of 3/4 plywood and some 12 foot 4X4's In the dark I constructed a deck for the Colonel by wedging the 4X4's into the bumperettes and cutting the other end into the sand. I finished the deck long before the Colonel woke up and went back into the TOC to monitor ops. When the Colonel came in he asked how the deck got there because he did not hear any nails being driven. I told him it was safe and well built and he said he was pleasantly surprized by the deck. He asked if I could put some nails in it to make sure it was safe and I told him not a problem sir. Of course in the Jump TOC the only hammer we had was a 3 pound sledge that comes with the OE 254 antennae. So with nails and sledge, I went out and nailed it all together. As I was finishing, my boss who was a real $%^# came out and instead of saying anything nice looked at the deck and then looked at me and said, " You are using the wrong hammer"

That is one reason one good Soldier is worth 10 officers

ida34

The officers need a nice heated seat so as not to chafe their rearend. Most of the officer trouble I had was with butter bars that thought they were a lot more useful then they were. My usually line was that I had more time in rank than they had in the Army.

ARMYMAN,

If those are the gensets I think they are I almost got a couple of them myself. I stopped bidding when I realized that they are 400 Hz. If they are 400 Hz they will be fine for incandecent lights but you will not be able to use them for motors or electronics.

Good luck,

JD

papercu

gl

I was keeping track of this and won it today:

STUDEBAKER MDL MEP-017A GENERATOR,

The MEP-017A are 60 hz
The MEP-022A are the 400hz ones

Wayne

acetomatoco

RE: gl

You can run the electric heaters with it.. you will need a helper though cuz it weighs about 300 lbs and at 3600 rpm it will keep the neighbors awake but good...The helper is used also to fetch gasoline cuz they are thirsty brutes...ACE

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is 60 Hz and If that was 300 pounds I am going to have to get back to going to Ballys because I had to use my crane to load it into the back of the duece and it felt more like 500 pounds than 300. At any rate the thing is in beautiful shape I think it just came out of rebuild and went into a POMCUS site or other war stock. I am still looking for a source for the 24 volt battery that is quite uniqe and if you know where I can find one or the number for it I would appreciate a post to the effect.

Well, I checked the auction lot I was watching and it was not yours, so i was wrong about the frequency.

Now maybe I can help you; the battery is a 24 volt 4 HN. Interstate Battery might have them. I have a couple of 5kw sets and I will try a local Interstate dealer to see if he can get them. I understand they often have "blem" 6 TLs so we might get lucky. Any other source might be very costly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks