• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looker from Tucson

DualCase

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker/looker on this thread for a few years mainly cause I see @olly hondro rolling around in his killer LMTV. Figured I'd make an account so I could say hello and also look at pictures posted on the site.

I'm a Tucson native that's been looking at these M1008 trucks for a long while. I remember eyeballing the M1009s as a little dirt road cruiser but didn't like the 10 bolt with posi and went the 4Runner route. So now I have a fiberglass top 4Runner locked up and geared down on 37s

:driver:

So, fast forward 10 years I got the rock crawling out of my system and have been looking for a crew cab long bed 4x4 Powerstroke to pull work truck and family hauler duties (4L65E went out in the Yukon...AGAIN). I think that's a pipe dream at this point because they're all jacked to the sky or listed at 20k with bulletproofing. Now I'm back to looking at the M1008 as an "around town" work truck. Run some 16ft boards, load up some firewood, skid the occasional tree etc. The 5/4 ton rating is a great selling point as is the Detroit locker.

Not sure if this is true but it seems like all the people/sites selling these trucks have stopped or ceased to exist. I'd like to avoid private party and auction trucks all together and get one from a place like Boyce however they seem to run through stock FAST. Is there another place that specializes in the sale of these trucks? I'd be willing to pay a premium for a truck that's been looked at and tested a bit. I'm really not interested in paying a premium for the M1028 cause it has a posi and some helper springs ha-ha.

Another thing I've not been able to find on the forum is a lot of info on Tucson smog. Our ADEQ requirements are ridiculous and intrusive. I've heard the 6.2 can pass a snap acceleration test, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's registered a 6.2 Detroit within the air quality control zones. I've gone the collector's car route and I'm not a huge fan. I'm lucky enough to be 2 miles within one of the "zones" :roll:

I'll likely be active on this forum as I'm pretty serious about owning one this time and I'd like to read up on them as much as possible.

DualCase

My M1009 with the 6.2 passed Tucson's smog tests.

I don't know what's worse - that it was required to undergo emissions testing, or that the emissions testing is so flawed that it could pass.
I did see your post while I was searching. I take it your M1009 was in quite good condition? I suppose their diesel tests are fairly relaxed compared to the gasoline car tests. They won't let you test if you're missing any factory under hood smog equipment and engine swaps are a huge gray area. Luckily the kids they hire to stand in those hot garages all day usually aren't willing to go the extra mile to rat you out :)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did see your post while I was searching. I take it your M1009 was in quite good condition? I suppose their diesel tests are fairly relaxed compared to the gasoline car tests. They won't let you test if you're missing any factory under hood smog equipment and engine swaps are a huge gray area. Luckily the kids they hire to stand in those hot garages all day usually aren't willing to go the extra mile to rat you out :)
It was a box stock M1009 in pretty decent condition. I kind of wish I had kept it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker/looker on this thread for a few years mainly cause I see @olly hondro rolling around in his killer LMTV. Figured I'd make an account so I could say hello and also look at pictures posted on the site.

I'm a Tucson native that's been looking at these M1008 trucks for a long while. I remember eyeballing the M1009s as a little dirt road cruiser but didn't like the 10 bolt with posi and went the 4Runner route. So now I have a fiberglass top 4Runner locked up and geared down on 37s

So, fast forward 10 years I got the rock crawling out of my system and have been looking for a crew cab long bed 4x4 Powerstroke to pull work truck and family hauler duties (4L65E went out in the Yukon...AGAIN). I think that's a pipe dream at this point because they're all jacked to the sky or listed at 20k with bulletproofing. Now I'm back to looking at the M1008 as an "around town" work truck. Run some 16ft boards, load up some firewood, skid the occasional tree etc. The 5/4 ton rating is a great selling point as is the Detroit locker.

Not sure if this is true but it seems like all the people/sites selling these trucks have stopped or ceased to exist. I'd like to avoid private party and auction trucks all together and get one from a place like Boyce however they seem to run through stock FAST. Is there another place that specializes in the sale of these trucks? I'd be willing to pay a premium for a truck that's been looked at and tested a bit. I'm really not interested in paying a premium for the M1028 cause it has a posi and some helper springs ha-ha.

Another thing I've not been able to find on the forum is a lot of info on Tucson smog. Our ADEQ requirements are ridiculous and intrusive. I've heard the 6.2 can pass a snap acceleration test, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's registered a 6.2 Detroit within the air quality control zones. I've gone the collector's car route and I'm not a huge fan. I'm lucky enough to be 2 miles within one of the "zones" :roll:

I'll likely be active on this forum as I'm pretty serious about owning one this time and I'd like to read up on them as much as possible.
Well, about all I have to offer is to chime in here with a warm Welcome to the Outfit! There are a lot of threads here with information - anywhere from oil it up and go - to complete frame up restorations.

I hope you find what you want. Don't be too concerned about buying from an individual. There are some really sharp folks who turn trucks and far less folks around here that squirt paint and call it good... You know, investigate, ask questions, expect a test drive if you are told "this is a runner and in good condition". If the deal seems too good to be true, then walk away...

Looking forward to a new thread from you when you find your new-to-you truck!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everyone,

I have purchased 5 trucks here in Tucson from Jack's Govt Surplus : 2 M1009s, M109A3 M35A3 , and the LMTV. My next project is an M715 Kaiser. Now, as many will attest here, Jack has no bargains. He DOES however, offer rust-free vehicles with clean AZ title and a warranty. Worth the premium to me. Yes, the 1009s pass smog w/ no issues. He has M1008s. Recall the gearing is 4.56 on those.

DualCase

Well curiosity got the better of me and I actually called Boyce. They told me what I was expecting to hear, little to no inventory for the past year or two. Pretty sure it's been longer than that (8 or 9 years?) but I guess it's been really bad lately.

It was a box stock M1009 in pretty decent condition. I kind of wish I had kept it.
Yep as I recall the post was a bit old. It hurts to sell stuff like that but as long as you had fun with it is all that matters.

Don't be too concerned about buying from an individual. There are some really sharp folks who turn trucks and far less folks around here that squirt paint and call it good...
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not worried about not being checked out per se, I just want one as close to surplus as possible. Not many people leave these trucks stock and stock ride height is pretty important to me as I need practicality over all else. The other issue is a lot of people tend to think electrical is sorcery and proceed to mess up all the wiring. Nothing worse than going to look at a truck and seeing 70 crimp connectors under the hood. Mix that with pulling a trailer to a different state just to find stuff like that... I just want to buy something turn key for once haha.

I have purchased 5 trucks here in Tucson from Jack's Govt Surplus : 2 M1009s, M109A3 M35A3 , and the LMTV. My next project is an M715 Kaiser. Now, as many will attest here, Jack has no bargains. He DOES however, offer rust-free vehicles with clean AZ title and a warranty. Worth the premium to me. Yes, the 1009s pass smog w/ no issues. He has M1008s. Recall the gearing is 4.56 on those.
Hey, thanks for the info! I saw you post about the M422s in his yard and I guess I got the wrong impression as it looked like much older stuff that needs frame up restoration. It didn't help the following posts were about his pricing 😅 I'll have to give him a ring because those are definitely worth something to me.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well curiosity got the better of me and I actually called Boyce. They told me what I was expecting to hear, little to no inventory for the past year or two. Pretty sure it's been longer than that (8 or 9 years?) but I guess it's been really bad lately.

Yep as I recall the post was a bit old. It hurts to sell stuff like that but as long as you had fun with it is all that matters.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not worried about not being checked out per se, I just want one as close to surplus as possible. Not many people leave these trucks stock and stock ride height is pretty important to me as I need practicality over all else. The other issue is a lot of people tend to think electrical is sorcery and proceed to mess up all the wiring. Nothing worse than going to look at a truck and seeing 70 crimp connectors under the hood. Mix that with pulling a trailer to a different state just to find stuff like that... I just want to buy something turn key for once haha.

Hey, thanks for the info! I saw you post about the M422s in his yard and I guess I got the wrong impression as it looked like much older stuff that needs frame up restoration. It didn't help the following posts were about his pricing 😅 I'll have to give him a ring because those are definitely worth something to me.
Much of his Korea/ WW2 stuff is only good for parts. There are some trucks that need very little to be road worthy.

WC.jpg

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Michigan .

Here is a old "Jacks Surplus" thread.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Michigan .

Here is a old "Jacks Surplus" thread.

Is this place still open to the public ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks