• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a LMTV. Need advice please!

Switch3287

So I’m up here in Fairbanks Alaska. A friend of mine bought a LMTV from a company that purchased 8 of them from a government auction. I’m looking to pick it up from him because since he bought it he has only driven it 2 times. I’m just looking for a fun project tinker on here and there and to have a unique vehicle to drive from time to time in the summer. I’m just curious if there is any major big ticket items I need check out before I pick this thing up. I know I’ll just be shoveling money in this thing but my biggest concern is that the engine is in good working order. It has little issues like the CTIS will need some diag and the tires are miss matched and I know they are all wheel drive so that will have to be at the top of the list to get resolved. I hear about cracked blocks from loose accessories I was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on that or maybe even some pictures!? It runs and drives and sounds fine btw.

Thank you in advance =)

Ronmar

There is a steel L shaped bracket that connects from the back of air compressor to the block. If that isn't there all that compressor and power steering pump weight is hanging off the aluminum gear case. Add road vibration and perhaps driveshaft vibration, stir vigorously and you get a cracked timing case. Some got removed for maint and never replaced, I have seen one broken one…. Get under the truck and look up just in front of the starter…

Batteries are a huge miss-match for the 100A alt and the trucks don't get run enough so usually are undercharged and failing. This keeps the alt in a constant state of overload, and it then fails. Pull the 4 batts and put in a pair of group 31’s. Which is what Cat specced for these engines…

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the later trucks they put Nord Lock washers on all the compressor support bracket bolts to keep them from loosening. Seems to do the job. They were plenty tough to get loose when I had to take it apart to replace the compressor so I don't see them backing out.

If it's a 3116 truck there's the "oil line of death" to consider. Definitely want to replace that preventatively.

Clean every ground and every electrical connection.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I’m up here in Fairbanks Alaska. A friend of mine bought a LMTV from a company that purchased 8 of them from a government auction. I’m looking to pick it up from him because since he bought it he has only driven it 2 times. I’m just looking for a fun project tinker on here and there and to have a unique vehicle to drive from time to time in the summer. I’m just curious if there is any major big ticket items I need check out before I pick this thing up. I know I’ll just be shoveling money in this thing but my biggest concern is that the engine is in good working order. It has little issues like the CTIS will need some diag and the tires are miss matched and I know they are all wheel drive so that will have to be at the top of the list to get resolved. I hear about cracked blocks from loose accessories I was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on that or maybe even some pictures!? It runs and drives and sounds fine btw.

Thank you in advance =)
You may want to consider WHY you want it. I mean all of us here love big green (or tan or camo) trucks, but what do you want it to do for you? Is it to haul big stuff or maybe to drive through the wilderness?

CTIS is a good thing - when it works. It needs attention and 20 to 30 year old little rubber diaphragms get old and tired. Rubber hoses get tired too. It sucks a LOT when your tires deflate and put the rim onto the tires. That is bad medicine for your tires, so it needs to be fixed or removed - your choice. The CAT 3116 or 3216 are both good power plants. The Allison transmissions are pretty rugged. They either work or not, generally not any other way (very general).

There is nothing much more fun than sitting up higher than almost all the vehicles around you... Just need to examine your motivation and remember that it is a 20 year old truck and there ABSOLUTELY WILL BE things that need to be repaired. If that fits you, then you need one :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks