• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking at an M101 trailer

L1A1

Hey guys
I've found an M101(A1?) trailer that is for sale close by. It appears to be in pretty good shape with a solid bed floor (wood for racks & bows will need replacing) and no serious rust/rot. The tires & rims appear to be 9:00X16 NDTs from an M37. It has the later style tail lights on it (like on an M151A2)

Owner wants $525.00 for it, just stopped & looked but didn't make contact with seller yet. Is there a check list of items I need to inspect before making an offer? Or can anyone advise me what to look for/ at on this trailer before I jump in with both feet?
Thanks,
Matt

RodUSMC1962

You could jack it up one side at a time,spin the tires to see if bearings sound ok to pull it home. Check frame for serious rust. Anything else if your handy you :beer:can fix.

Sephirothq

The question would be what do you want to do with it? In my opinion (i could be wrong) the A2 trailer is a better trailer for most people. You have a surge brake, and a common tire and wheel size that will be easier to replace.

But it is up to you. On the price depending on condition it might not be too bad. AS long as everything is there, they have a title and there is no rot on the trailer. ie holes.

L1A1

The question would be what do you want to do with it? In my opinion (i could be wrong) the A2 trailer is a better trailer for most people. You have a surge brake, and a common tire and wheel size that will be easier to replace.

The tow vehicle for this trailer would be my M37 which shares the same size tire & rim. I plan on using the trailer as a compliment to the Dodge's bed to carry extra stuff when I take the truck on trips (after resto) I'm sure the A2 (or A3) are better trailers but then again, this trailer is local and in good shape.

But it is up to you. On the price depending on condition it might not be too bad. AS long as everything is there, they have a title and there is no rot on the trailer. ie holes.
Good point about the title and I'd have to check on that. During a cursory inspection, I noticed peeling paint and weathered wood but no serious rust or rot.

Matt

L1A1

If they don't have a title you can still get plates through Maine.
Think that's where the titles for both my M37 & ferret Mk1/2 came from but I'd have to check my paper work again. Therealsundance looking at your tag line, it appears that you've owned all of the M101 variants at one time or another.
Matt