• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking at buying 1st deuce, have a question.

Hiredguns

So I've been prowling around here for several months now trying to learn everything I could before I took the leap and bought a M35 without having to ask any stupid questions. But here I am anyhow.
I'm finally ready to bite the proverbial bullet and buy one. But for the life of me I cannot decode all the numbers to determine year of manufacture, or which branch of service had the truck.
The frame number, dash plaque, and title all have matching numbers but I still question date of manufacture.

frame # is 0525 24758
plaque id#is 04p-16771-0525-24758
stock # is 2320-077-1616

Can anyone help me decode these?

Thanks in advance!

71DeuceAK

Can't help you there, being a newbie myself, but welcome to the site and the hobby nonetheless! I was just looking at a '68 M35A2 myself.

Eliteweapons

So I've been prowling around here for several months now trying to learn everything I could before I took the leap and bought a M35 without having to ask any stupid questions. But here I am anyhow.
I'm finally ready to bite the proverbial bullet and buy one. But for the life of me I cannot decode all the numbers to determine year of manufacture, or which branch of service had the truck.
The frame number, dash plaque, and title all have matching numbers but I still question date of manufacture.

frame # is 0525 24758
stock # is 2320-077-1616

Thanks in advance!

There is a thread already started for that in the conversation section here. Hope that helps.

Use the advanced search section and look for "2016 VIN INFO Thread, Please Read."
Sorry I don't know how to link to that thread.

Last edited:

Hiredguns

glad to hear there's no warranty. I'd rather do the work on it myself anyhow.

The title say it's a 79 But some little voice in my head says 1970. Can't wait to see what it actually is.

onemanarmy

well there really isn't that much difference in the A2s, and as long as it has a clean title it really doesn't matter. The engine should be labeled, so you're good there. A few small things are different with the real early A2s, but that is mostly cosmetic.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ditto!

Find a truck you like and run with it. These trucks are like tinker toys, pretty easy to make it into whatever you want it to be.

rustystud

glad to hear there's no warranty. I'd rather do the work on it myself anyhow.

The title say it's a 79 But some little voice in my head says 1970. Can't wait to see what it actually is.
There is one way to check without using the VIN numbers. Look at the engine data plate, then check the front and rear differentials data plates. Also the transfer-case and transmission. If all the dates match then you know. More then likely the engine and transmission have been changed out, but rarely have I seen all the differentials and transfer-case replaced on one truck. The oldest date should be the real year of your truck. My truck still has all the original parts, but then it was a 1988 Air-Force deuce and really not used hard at all.

Hiredguns

Thanks for the links!

if I've deciphered the numbers correctly it is in fact a 1971 model AM general. with an engine manufacture date of 1986.

Not sure why the title would call it 79, but the VIN on the title and the VIN on the frame match.

I'l throw out this question.
I've actually got 2 that I'm looking at, the aforementioned and another 71

Biggest difference of the 2 is that one stays in the garage for sometimes years at a time while one Is driven 2-3 times per week.

Am I crazy for being more afraid of the garage queen than the driven/ worked one?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

frame # is 0525 24758
stock # is 2320-077-1616

Thanks in advance!
It looks like a 1971 , as mine was made in 1971 ( info from carnac) and my V.I.N is 0525 17495