• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying 5 ton

brian s

I currently have a bobbed duece and am looking at buying a 5 ton but don't know what to look for as far as good ones and ones to stay away from any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian that kind of depends on your budget and what your looking to do with the truck? Since so many of the 939 series have been released over the last couple years that has somewhat driven the cost down on the older 800 series trucks, the 800 series would be the 5 ton version of the Deuce. The 939 series is a whole different truck, same engine but everything around it is different and its got an automatic trans as opposed to the manual. Give us some more info on what your looking to use the truck for and we can sure be of more assistance to you.
Karl

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want a cargo, tractor, van, dump or wrecker 5 ton?
All carry their own range of prices and availability.
Winch or no winch?
Are you buying from individual or government?
The 5 tons are a lot bigger than a deuce.

There is the straight 939 series, Followed by the A1 and A2 models.
The A0 and A1 are non turbo.
The A2 is turbocharged 8.3L Cummins.
All are automatic transmission.

Need to think about what model you want and what your budget is.
Don't forget to figure shipping, unless you buy one from someone that has already fixed issues and has it road ready.

Most of the government rebuilds are already in private hands.

The rebuilds command higher prices, yet there have been some really good deals at auction lately.

Figure which one one you want and go from there.

Texaspipeliner93

Hey Brian s I also am in the market for a M939 series 5 ton the best thing I found to see what model truck and equipment you want is to download the M939 TM and read it it's long about 500 pages boring but it will give you a feel for the general equipment and maintaince required the truck it also gives you model options and equiped equipment so it's a very good thing to read hope this helps

Nomadic

I have my eye on the market as a base for an off-road camper for my 1st military vehicle. Been looking at serious problems where serious would be defined as costing thousands in repair or a problem I don't want to deal with (or don't trust anyone to fix). If you find a turbo engine, check for Blow By. If it has it the engine piston rings need to be replaced sooner rather than later. A vehicle that has blow by is something to stay away from (for me, maybe not for anyone else).

brian s

I was looking for a cargo truck to turn into a dump.
I like the looks of the cargold and with the cover it makes halling stuff I little nicer. Would like a turbo motor and a manual transmission but I think that might be hard to find.
I love my duece but it can't haul what I need it to any more sense it got bobbed.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was looking for a cargo truck to turn into a dump.
I like the looks of the cargold and with the cover it makes halling stuff I little nicer. Would like a turbo motor and a manual transmission but I think that might be hard to find.
I love my duece but it can't haul what I need it to any more sense it got bobbed.
You wont find it unless you modify an 813 to a turbo. Or swap a manual into a 939. There is a turbo . m818 or something in the classifieds for sale. Put a dump bed on it

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks