• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying a deuce

rockyroad217

I went to check out a '66 deuce today. It was in running condition..but not driving condition. The brakes didn't work on it. I looked it over pretty good. One thing I noticed, were both front wheels were wet inside the rims. I thought it was probably the wheel cylinders, but it was all over the boots too. Would a leak wheel cylinder leak onto the boots too? I smelled it and it seems odorless, but I'm not 100% sure it was not gear oil. I know what gear oil smells like, and it sure didn't smell like it. The drum on the left rear axle had what looked like brake fluid on it too. On a positive note, it started right up when he first hit the button and the engine wasn't warm because I felt it before he started it. I noticed on top of the fuel tank there was a little diesel where the fuel lines came out from the top of the tank. Anyways, just looking for a little advice/helpful knowledge. Thanks

Ride2Kill

If the price is right, there is nothing on these trucks that can't be fixed. Brakes and wheel seals on these trucks are very simple to work on. If you do get it, shop around for the parts. I've found big differences in prices.
How much dose he want for it? Got any pics?

Ride2Kill

Is it atleast an A2? Dose it have a turbo, airshift T-case, and all that jazz?
Its probably worth putting in the wrench time if its not a rust bucket.
Spend some time on this site here and study up on what your looking at. Use the search button. This website is a world of knowledge at your fingers.

91W350

That is a nice looking deuce, knee deep in rubber! The price is cheap here for a truck like that, but there are a lot more deuces in your part of the country. The turbo is not that important to me, but I do prefer the air shift transfer case! Titling a truck that age is a pretty simple task here in Kansas, a bill of sale and a VIN inspection will get it done. Glen

91W350

There a little horizontal lever mounted on the bottom of the dash, normally under the instrument cluster? That would be the air shift, not an absolute deal killer, they worked great for many years on the old sprag system. The air shifts seem pretty trouble free.

ARYankee

After our discussion on the phone about it..... It really is an awesome deal especially the shape it is in and all that guy was going to throw in the deal with you. Pretty much like these guys have said they are some what easy to work on.

ARYankee

Also, the floor had a ring of something greasy where the brake pedal came up through the floor...like something was coming in through there.
If you saw a little diesel on top of the lines going into cylinders then it may be the from that. I had a line that I had to replace that was leaking and I got some fuel that slashed in through one of the holes by the pedals.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The leak you see on the front tires is more than likely leaking axle seals if the boots are wet. The boots are designed to hold grease in the knuckle but won't hold gear oil if it gets it there.

Don't know what the grease is on the brake pedal. Shouldn't be of any concern though. Just clean it off.