• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying my first deuce is this a good deal?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this truck is not a W/W, that price is almost certainly too high. Not that you can't make a lower offer. As Sephirothq mentioned, A3 wheels are designed for Michelin 14.5 X 20 tires with the MPT bead. Some say it is dangerous to use non-MPT bead tires on those wheels. However, I am not an expert.

jbailly

What does w/w mean? With winch? I am an EXTREME noob to these trucks, but I figured this is the place to ask questions. Thanks for all the help. I sent the owner a email asking him for more info/pictures.

Sephirothq

w/w means with winch. It is on the data plate.
The bottom line is the picture he sent you is not the truck that is for sale unless he is going to do alot of modifications to it. They mostly all look alike but that isn't the truck you described.

skinnyR1

In PA or Ohio, you should be able to get a decent winch truck for around $6k with stock A2 wheels and NDT's. The value rises with the add ons such as the A3 wheels and whatever tires are on there, and air assist. A new set of 395's with A3's will run you north of $3K, even if you are willing to mount them yourself. And that is no shipping costs.

So on paper, a winch truck with a set of A3 wheels and decent rubber, with the air assist steering would be well worth the approximate asking price of $7500. Gotta be clean though.

As you travel into New England, the prices rise. In my area, the truck as described with PS and a winch and the singles would probably be closer to 10 or 12K.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are trucks in the classifieds. The two I have listed have matching VIN/Frame/Title numbers. One with and one without a winch.

jbailly

I just got this from the owner. It may help to clear up the confusion.

The truck was original when I bought it from the government. The MLVW wheels are imported from Quebec at a cost of $300.00 a piece. They are not modified wheels and are DOT approved for highway use.They have the same rim flange as a HEMTT wheels that so many modify to fit a deuce. The tires I bought used from C&C in Indiana for $150.00 a piece plus shipping. I acquired the pieces and installed the heater. I installed the new radiator. Truck has some rust, no holes I know of. I would drive it anywhere.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the price for the truck seems a little high but it is what the buyer agree to.

SteveKuhn

Good deal, no - it's not. OK deal - probably. Sounds harsh, but here's why I say that, knowing nothing about the truck or you.

You really need to go see the truck in person, and if at all possible get one of the more experienced Deuce guys from here who is in the area (or mebbe a Guard M35 mech from near near you) to go along and give the truck a good examination. Pay for the help if necessary. It would be worthwhile to go see some of the other trucks within a day-trip of you first so you have dollar/feature/price comparison. It'll be an education. You admit you're new - don't stay that way. When I was, I got reallylucky by getting a fair overall deal and then falling in with a bunch of guys who knew their stuff. Not to mention having 3 mechanics who can be called on to fix and maintain what I can't.

There a a bunch of '1st Deuce' threads on here that you should be able to recite backwards before spending $7500. I know there's an operator's checklist in one of them because I put it there. You should at least do that and know what you're looking at and for. I think it would be great if your question was more like:

"There's this truck I'm considering at $7500 in OH. I'm adding another $XXX. for shipping (or taking along $xxx for heavy tow in case it breaks down on the ride home.)

I think it's a good deal because it has xxx, yyy, zzz. The trucks I've seen advertised are from $xxxx - $yyyy. The don't have a, b, or c and those total up to $hhhh. Can't live without <PickOne>, but I'd trade of <ListThose.> Am I far off? What am I missing? Is there anybody in <PickATown>, OH who could do a real knowledgeable check out on it for me? What does that usually cover and cost?"

Short of that, everybody is just ball-parking due to lack of info. No rust is great, but make sure he hasn't missed any. I could care less about big tires and the numbers you've posted say that's about $3K of the truck's investment. Air-O-Matic brings about +/-$1500 in the boxes, much less on the truck.

Maybe big tires are a big deal to you. If so, then there 'ya go.

Best to you on this one or another one. There's nothing like a Deuce.

Steve

jbailly

Thanks for the advice SteveKuhn. Maybe I should have asked something along the lines of "Would you buy this deuce as your first deuce?" I did somewhat look at it in person once, but I wasn't shopping for a deuce then. Now I am. He is only an hour away so I can pretty much go look at it anytime. I found out that it is a hard top (thanks to the guys in this thread that know what they are looking at) plus the owner verified that. It does not a cover or a winch. $7500 is just where he started at not his best price (at least I don't think it is his best price). What would you offer for it based on what I have stated so far? $6500 $6000 $5500 how low is insulting? I don't want to make an enemy.
Thanks again guys,
Jon

ATPTac

Thanks for the advice SteveKuhn. Maybe I should have asked something along the lines of "Would you buy this deuce as your first deuce?" I did somewhat look at it in person once, but I wasn't shopping for a deuce then. Now I am. He is only an hour away so I can pretty much go look at it anytime. I found out that it is a hard top (thanks to the guys in this thread that know what they are looking at) plus the owner verified that. It does not a cover or a winch. $7500 is just where he started at not his best price (at least I don't think it is his best price). What would you offer for it based on what I have stated so far? $6500 $6000 $5500 how low is insulting? I don't want to make an enemy.
Thanks again guys,
Jon
Honestly, and not to sound redundant, but its really hard to say without seeing the truck in person. Would need to see if it has any major leaks, how much actual tread is on the tires (these tires come with a TON of tread when new, so to the untrained eye they could seem to have a lot when in fact they are half worn out), the engine/trans are operating correctly, etc... See if there is an experienced Deuce owner in your area and see if they'll come check the truck out with you.

Based on what I'm seeing (which isn't a lot) I wouldn't personally pay more than about $5000+/- for it, and that's only because of the tires. To put it in perspective, our second Deuce has a winch, hard top, heater, has some rust (mostly surface rust), needs new troop seats, no bows or cover and we paid a decent amount less than $5k for it. Once again it really boils down to how much those tires are worth to you. Singling out a Deuce the correct way is NOT cheap at all, ask me how I know :p. Between the new tires on MRAP's, adapter plates, hardware, etc... we ended up spending almost as much on that as we did on our first truck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, and not to sound redundant, but its really hard to say without seeing the truck in person. Would need to see if it has any major leaks, how much actual tread is on the tires (these tires come with a TON of tread when new, so to the untrained eye they could seem to have a lot when in fact they are half worn out), the engine/trans are operating correctly, etc... See if there is an experienced Deuce owner in your area and see if they'll come check the truck out with you.

Based on what I'm seeing (which isn't a lot) I wouldn't personally pay more than about $5000+/- for it, and that's only because of the tires. To put it in perspective, our second Deuce has a winch, hard top, heater, has some rust (mostly surface rust), needs new troop seats, no bows or cover and we paid a decent amount less than $5k for it. Once again it really boils down to how much those tires are worth to you. Singling out a Deuce the correct way is NOT cheap at all, ask me how I know :p. Between the new tires on MRAP's, adapter plates, hardware, etc... we ended up spending almost as much on that as we did on our first truck.
Deuces tend to be the cheapest in the southeast and the northeast and west coast the highest prices. It probably has to with when the big run of deuces were surplused out Redstone in Alabama seemed to be the major seller of deuces . When they flooded the market in 2007 to 10 you could running driving deuces for $600 to $1000 out of Redstone . Prices were generally much higher everywhere else.

gunboy1656

I know of a stock truck out in Alliance Ohio (2 hours away from you) that is for sale for 6500. Tan, Soft top, winch, 900x20 tires, cargo cover.

There are some pics of it in some of the Alliance show thread from last year. 11Echo may have some more details of it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever driven a deuce? I love deuces, but they are not for everyone. Go see the truck in person and drive it. I met a guy once that bought a deuce sight unseen. When it was delivered, he was horrified, his wife even more so. He was expecting something on the order of a large pickup. His home owners association wouldn't let him take it home. That being said, he still has the deuce 3 years later and now loves it, storing it on a friends farm. Preferably arrange for another deuce owner on SS to meet you and help evaluate the truck.

ATPTac

Deuces tend to be the cheapest in the southeast and the northeast and west coast the highest prices. It probably has to with when the big run of deuces were surplused out Redstone in Alabama seemed to be the major seller of deuces . When they flooded the market in 2007 to 10 you could running driving deuces for $600 to $1000 out of Redstone . Prices were generally much higher everywhere else.
Valid point, and one that I didn't realize. I've seen some trucks around here with obscene asking prices, heck we went and looked at one before we knew any better (in retrospect I'm very glad we didn't buy it).

Have you ever driven a deuce? I love deuces, but they are not for everyone. Go see the truck in person and drive it. I met a guy once that bought a deuce sight unseen. When it was delivered, he was horrified, his wife even more so. He was expecting something on the order of a large pickup. His home owners association wouldn't let him take it home. That being said, he still has the deuce 3 years later and now loves it, storing it on a friends farm. Preferably arrange for another deuce owner on SS to meet you and help evaluate the truck.
This is also a very good thing to consider. I can easily see someone getting wrapped up in the "cool factor" of owning a Deuce and not truly realize what's involved in ownership, driving them, taking necessary safety precautions, maintenance (and tools required), etc... I absolutely love our truck, but they are definitely a different animal. You have to go into buying one realizing that if the truck is going to cost you $XXXX, that can sometimes just be the tip of the iceberg.

There is a ton of good advice and knowledge on this forum, and even more good honest people willing to help you through owning a MV. All I can say is, you're definitely in the right place. [thumbzup]

BradBMI

Hey I have a tan one which needs a new park brake (i have the parts) Im getting the title from the previous owner I can let you have it for Half what your quotes once i get the title. Runs good no problems M35a2 mulifuel

jbailly

Hey I have a tan one which needs a new park brake (i have the parts) Im getting the title from the previous owner I can let you have it for Half what your quotes once i get the title. Runs good no problems M35a2 mulifuel
Give me the details. Location, with winch or not, hard top or not, stock or not, price. You can pm me if you don't want to put it in this thread.

jbailly

And no I haven't driven one, but want to. Yes I realize how big they are. I don't have to worry about HOA's I have 260 acres to play on.

FloridaAKM

You really need to drive one before you purchase it! This will be a test drive you will never forget. With 260 acres, you should't have to worry about room to turn around or running over/into anybody. Another upside is no insurance or tag needed while you are on your property!
And no I haven't driven one, but want to. Yes I realize how big they are. I don't have to worry about HOA's I have 260 acres to play on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks