• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a 6x6

prattcobra

Hello Everyone..

Today I am happy I sold my Duramax diesel and I'm looking to buy a 6x6. where do I start? I like the ones with the central inflation system and ones with the turbo engines. How do the Auto's hold up and what would you buy?

Please help..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Got a couple members near you, might be able to look over their trucks. I don't care much for CTIS or autos in a truck, I like the A2s. Welcome to the site.

Towman2277

I'm going to make a few people upset, but hey!! It's my opinion!

Get a Bobber'! I've owned several trucks, A2's, A3's with the Cat, 5-tons and Gasser bridge trucks, and believe me, if you drive someone's bobber after riding in a full-size deuce, you'll get one!!
Whatever you DO get, make SURE IT HAS A WINCH!!!!! I've seen deuces get stuck in grass, when least expected. That winch will come in very handy really quick!!

jollyroger

I have not been too close to the M35A3's but here is what I have heard.

As GR said the CTIS system is a PIA. You end up spending more time waiting for your tires to reinflate than you do going somewhere unless the trip is a long one. Also this promotes flat spots in the Steel Belted radials that take time to drive out. The tires always seem square in other words. But if you want to inflate/deflate from the cab and don't mind troubleshooting the system when it does not work have at it.

The A3 seems to be a 50 MPH truck. Period. The auto is nice. The power steering is nice. Two bucket type seats. Cat 3116. Good motor as long as you don't have problems with it. Expensive to fix. The A3 is a rebuilt/repowerd A2.
In my mind they have a goofy rake to the hood to accomodate the 3116.

The A2's are old. They have manual steering. They have a manual 5 speed with overdrive. Those two things work so long as you have hands. 55MPH is doable stock and with my 395/80/R20 michelins I can run 65 mph. They have in most cases have a multifuel turbo diesel engine. Can run on gasoline , diesel, cooking oil, waste motor oil etc. They look cooler and have a bench seat next to the drivers seat so your lady can sit close like in the old trucks. I just prefer them. Oh and they are less expensive all the way around. I'm just sayin'.

In the end it comes down to what you prefer and how much you want to spend.

Towman2277

Yep, the 5-tons will get you looked at QUICKLY by the DOT in your state. You WILL need a CDL to operate it on the streets. You might can get away with it for a little while, until seen by the State Man ;-)

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

The A2 to me is the best looking and buy for the money.The engine is a huge + for me,it runs on almost anything.I bought my truck as a 6x6,drove it for 2 months then I bobbed it.I love my truck bobbed.

98hd

Yep, the 5-tons will get you looked at QUICKLY by the DOT in your state. You WILL need a CDL to operate it on the streets. You might can get away with it for a little while, until seen by the State Man ;-)

This is not true in Michigan.

If it's for private use (no commercial at all) , and owned by yourself you don't need a CDl in michigan. It's listed on the exceptions page in the CDL literature.

Also, depending on year you can register it historical and save lots of $$'s.

Shameless plug: I have a 5-ton for sale in the classifieds (it's in the U.P), and an A2 deuce I'd consider selling also.

jollyroger

M-813 5 ton is a totally different animal than an M-35A2 or A3. It looks similar sheet metal wise and shares the same cab but the truck is physically much bigger and heavier. Just do a ton of research and don't get in a hurry to buy a truck. You will discover the truck type that is right for you and then the oportunity will present itself.

You should also befriend people in your area that have trucks or join a military vehicle club and take some rides. Ask questions. Think about what YOU want to do with it. If you have friends that own trucks too you can network with them for parts or help. They may even come and get you when you break down.:beer: