• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Deuce Chassis for Conversion...

What Cab Should I Use...

• Total voters

TBigLug

Does anybody know where I can find a deuce chassis on the cheap? I don't need a body or bed. Maybe not even motor or trans. I want to put together a farm truck with an 80's Chevy crewcab and a flatbed. I tried and tried to convince myself I could fit in a regular deuce cab but it just ain't gonna happen. I'd like to keep the multifuel and 5 sp. but in the long run it might be more economical to do a conversion with a 427 tall deck and an Allison. Either way I need the chassis to start my measuring and building. I'd like a 5 ton so I can run regular semi wheels but a 2.5 will work just as well. The coser to MI the better as I'll have to have it flatbedded here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

pevrs114

The thought crossed my mind as well. You could even run a Kodiak/Topkick/Brigadier style 1-piece front end and it would 'fit' the visual profile of the truck a bit better.

Steering may be somewhat difficult to figure out - i.e. how to run the Deuce steering wheel / system in a civilian-style truck, although I'm sure there's some simple solutions.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a really nice rust-free frame in ohio, missing front spring hangers, no torch cuts.

PM if interested.

Dennis

TBigLug

what a waste of a good M135!Or is that a M211?
Nah, the only waste is one that never gets used. This way it's on the road like God intended. Just with a differant cab.

Why not just build a crewcab deuce or 5 ton & move the drivers seat back to fit??
I thought about that after seeing that truck before. Unfortunately, I know my limitations. I'm definitely not a body man when it comes to welding. Building structural supports and such is not a problem but I'm not as good with welding sheetmetal and doing bodywork. That and I can get a Chevy parts truck for cheaper than I can a second deuce parts truck.

The thought crossed my mind as well. You could even run a Kodiak/Topkick/Brigadier style 1-piece front end and it would 'fit' the visual profile of the truck a bit better.
Steering may be somewhat difficult to figure out - i.e. how to run the Deuce steering wheel / system in a civilian-style truck, although I'm sure there's some simple solutions.
I thought about the Kodiak/ Brigadere route but I really like the look of the smaller truck cab. The steering is what will require some planning. I think I've decided to go the SBC route with a 700R4. A mildly built 350 can make 350 to 400 hp and about the same on torque. More than enough for what I want to use the truck for. With that being said, I don't think plumbing into the stock PS pump will provide enough flow for a hydraulic assist setup, but I'll have to look into that some more. My other dilemma is the brakes. I don't think a stock truck master cylinder will provide enough flowfor the deuce's drums. Also, I don't know how the air over hydraulic part works. I might try finding a truck that still has cab and all just so I can learn how all that stuff works. Would make it easier to modify. I dunno. These are the thoughts that keep me up at night!

Here ya go.Photoshop from several years ago.

This is a truck up by me owned by a guy named Eugene. Kinda the Ford play toy version of the Chevy work truck I want to build.

I have a stripped deuce frame but it is in Ga. 200.00 Wayne
What's left on it? Anything?

Check with Rattlehead he may have one. He's in Michigan also
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

grounded

Banned
I have some axles and driveshafts if they will help you out sorry no frame. cut the last one up about a month ago. but saved the driveline parts

TBigLug

So, out of curiosity, nearest I can tell, the multi-fuel is 165 hp and 350 ft/lbs torque correct?

So, mounting up a 350 SBC mildly built should put me at about double the hp but more importantly the same or better torque. With a 700R4 or 4L80 should still be able to get 55-60 mph. Is my thinking correct?

bkwudzhom

Just a thought-An older non computer cummings diesel and allison might be a better engine to put in. Plenty of Hp and T. you might even be able to find a doner that has both already. Just my 2 cnts.

mudguppy

Just a thought-An older non computer cummings diesel and allison might be a better engine to put in. Plenty of Hp and T. you might even be able to find a doner that has both already. Just my 2 cnts.
there's no "g" in Cummins. :wink:

that wouldn't be a bad combo. that should be a fairly easy combo to locate out of a school bus. look for 5.9 cummins, mechanical injection pump (inline preferred), and backed by a [most likely] Allison at545 auto trans - 3 speed, non-lockup. the trans would need some work to hold higher torque, though. doable.