• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Deuce

blue302stang

I went with my buddy today to check out a deuce that he was looking at and everything went pretty well until i went to check out the brakes. I step on the pedal and without any effort at all the pedal dropped straight to the floor. The guy selling the truck seemed pretty knowledgeable about deuce and a halfs and said that this was a common problem with trucks that have sat around for an extended period of time, but being a mechanic for a living I have never run into this problem. I haven't done any work with air over hydraulic system so wasn't 100% sure and the truck was in field full of grass stickers so i wasn't really able to get under the truck and check it out. The air pressure was 90psi or so it seemed to be reading on the gauge. He claims that it just needs some fluid and it will be good to go for us to pick up next weekend. Hoping that this is a common problem and not something to worry about. Has anyone else had this problem and it been just low on brake fluid?

Chief_919

It is common when they sit, but while some fluid may get it working, odds are if it sat long enough for the issue to pop up you will need to go ahead and replace the wheel cylinders soon.

So if he gets it going, go ahead and budget new wheel cylinders into yous cost and plan on replacing them.

Tlauden

Low on brake fluid obviously means it was leaking somewhere. I would get it to solid ground close by and fill her up with fluid, do a quick bleeding of the system and find the leak. These are famous for brakes going out so yes, he was right it is common, but you certaintly wanna find the problem before trucking down the road. Hopefully it's a easy fix for ya

Also go to the website JatonkaM35s.com and look under the deuces TM. Real good TM titled Wagner lockheads brakes which overviews the deuce's brakes real well. Worth reading through if your going o do any brake work on these babies!!

Best of luck to ya!
Tyler

Also we NEED pics!!!!!!!!:eek::)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you've got a leak somewhere. That fluid didn't disappear. I'll agree no brakes are pretty common on a deuce but when the pedal goes to the floor you've got problems somewhere.

I'd either have him fix it or budget in some brake repairs.

Heavysteven

Pedal hitting the means the brake system is not sealed, losing fluid. Needs a inspection before you hit the road. Time to build a power bleeder

Common yes but serious safety risk.

blue302stang

Thats kinda what i was thinking. He said he was going to attempt to get the brakes up and working before we pick it up, but that main thing is just getting it home before I can start tearing everything apart and getting it into a good running order.

blue302stang

He is aware that DOT 5 is needed, and he had some with him today but neither of us had any tools to take the MC cap off. Its about 50 miles door to door. I will be building a pressure bleeder tomorrow so i will be able to bleed the system next weekend.

91W350

I think a lot of the wheel cylinder issues are from sitting and not being moved. They are also getting old, a 50 year old rubber cup is a heck of a thing to bet your life or somebody else's life on. I would like an early multifuel deuce, mid 60's, saying that, I just bought a newer one recently. Glen

blue302stang

Luckily my buddy isn't going to spare any money on this thing. As soon as we pull it into his shop its my job to replace everything wear related. I will be replacing all the filters with Jatonka Spin on Adapters, replacing all hoses and belts, draining every fluid and rebuilding the entire braking system. Than the bob will come afterwards

dozer1

Luckily my buddy isn't going to spare any money on this thing. As soon as we pull it into his shop its my job to replace everything wear related. I will be replacing all the filters with Jatonka Spin on Adapters, replacing all hoses and belts, draining every fluid and rebuilding the entire braking system. Than the bob will come afterwards
What a great time to break the chains (way over priced and not readily available) of the DOT 5 brake fluid and use a decent dot 3-4. Just something to ponder. Here is a thread on the subject. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/69120-dot-3-vs-dot-5-a.html

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a great time to break the chains (way over priced and not readily available) of the DOT 5 brake fluid and use a decent dot 3-4. Just something to ponder. Here is a thread on the subject. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/69120-dot-3-vs-dot-5-a.htmlhttp://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/69120-dot-3-vs-dot-5-a.html
I've not really considered myself chained to DOT 5. I actually prefer it as I can leave it sit in my bleeder for long periods of time. I think brake fluid is a matter of preference. No doubt DOT 3/4 will save you some cash and do just a fine job. As Dozer says, if you want to change out, that would be the time to do it.

Another consideration for you, something to factor in. Master cylinder pistons and cups have an area that they travel normally in a vehicle. Areas that the cups don't normally travel are subject to build up of corrosion or just funk. Once you jam that piston down in that area of bore that it hasn't seen in some time you can sometimes damage the cups. Because of that reason alone I would factor in the cost of a master cylinder just to be on the safe side.

paulfarber

I read that thread and nothing lead me to believe that you SHOULD get rid of DOT 5.

Contrary, the posts seemed to make the case FOR DOT 5.

Other than human error DOT 5 is a better choice... the only problem occurs when the person filling the fluids has no clue and starts mixing fluids.

As for 'money is no object' then why is he getting an A2? There are much better trucks out there when 'money is no object'. :?

blue302stang

He has always wanted an A2 so I'm not going to be the one to shoot his dreams down. As for the DOT 5, he has already ordered a gallon of it so he is going to be staying with that.

blue302stang

I've been trying to read up as much as possible on deuces and have gotten an amazing amount of info from here. Just wondering if there is anything else that i should be looking for before making the 50 mile trek home?

I've been trying to read up as much as possible on deuces and have gotten an amazing amount of info from here. Just wondering if there is anything else that i should be looking for before making the 50 mile trek home?
*Check for in-tank fuel pump operation (should hear it)
*Check for debris at the bottom of the tank
*Check for water in the fuel filters
*Check for air bubbles in the fuel lines and bleed them
Check the tires (wear, cracks, inflation)
*Check for hydrostatic lock (crank engine with fuel off and listen for knocks)
Obviously check the coolant, the oil, the belts yadayadayada
*Check for significant leaks in the air system
Look for any play in the drag link / tierod
*Put the T case in neutral and shift through all gears, (check for difficult shifts and grinds)
Check all lights
*Check the bottom of the exhaust pipe for water buildup and rust

I know I am missing some things

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks