• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a lmtv to test drive near bozeman mt

Montanajed

In my search for the perfect family overland vehicle I have found the lmtv. I have been heavily reseaching them for about 3 months now. They seem like one of the best 4x4 vehicle options for long term (off road and on road) travel that are available to us here in the good old USA.
I have been constantly scanning the auction sites and reading almost every article in the fmtv forum. I am afraid that I may have become a little premature in love with these vehicles considering I have never even been in one nevermind driven one. So my new search starts now. I need to find someone that is willing to show me the ropes or at least take me for a drive in there lmtv in the vicinity of bozeman Montana. I am leaning towards the 1079a1. But a ride in any variant will do.
I am not about to drop thousands of dollars on a rig I have never been in. I need to now if this is the future family truckster for this young family of four explorer's. Oh and of course the hard part, convincing the wife this is a good idea as well
I am well aware of the down sides such as horrible mpg ,slow highway speeds and the possibilties of getting a auction junker. But for the type of travel and weekend off road camping trips we do the good out ways the bad, I think.
Our tacoma and Phoenix camper are quickly becoming to small so the search is on! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Montanajed, I had mine in MT a couple of weeks ago, based out of Ennis for a week then came through Boseman. As they say, timing is everything, and sorry we didn't cross paths.

You said 4 people. As you know, the LMTV is a 3 seater but that space where the gunner's seat is could handle a couple of small seats. Kids love the view from there!

You can avoid the risk of a direct GP auction/lottery by buying from one of the resellers here on SS. Sure you will pay more, but if you buy at auction you will still pay more than winning price as you repair all the shortcomings. I have had my LMTV for a year and am still spending money on it as I find things that are not up to spec. You will find that repair parts for these trucks are cheaper than for most any truck.

My LMTV is an "expedition truck" I suppose. It has an Alaskan hydraulic popup camper on it. I just made a slow speed and leisurely 4600 mile loop from TN out through your country. Great trip!

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith. The 1st LMTV I laid hands on was mine. I love the truck and hope to put many miles on it in the years ahead.

alpine44

In my search for the perfect family overland vehicle I have found the lmtv. I have been heavily reseaching them for about 3 months now. They seem like one of the best 4x4 vehicle options for long term (off road and on road) travel that are available to us here in the good old USA.
I have been constantly scanning the auction sites and reading almost every article in the fmtv forum. I am afraid that I may have become a little premature in love with these vehicles considering I have never even been in one nevermind driven one. So my new search starts now. I need to find someone that is willing to show me the ropes or at least take me for a drive in there lmtv in the vicinity of bozeman Montana. I am leaning towards the 1079a1. But a ride in any variant will do.
I am not about to drop thousands of dollars on a rig I have never been in. I need to now if this is the future family truckster for this young family of four explorer's. Oh and of course the hard part, convincing the wife this is a good idea as well
I am well aware of the down sides such as horrible mpg ,slow highway speeds and the possibilties of getting a auction junker. But for the type of travel and weekend off road camping trips we do the good out ways the bad, I think.
Our tacoma and Phoenix camper are quickly becoming to small so the search is on! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
There is a LMTV in one of the industrial parks off Huffine Road. I do not know whether the owner is a member here but I will ask when I get a chance. I'll PM if there is a opportunity for a drive (which I am also interested in).

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith. The 1st LMTV I laid hands on was mine. I love the truck and hope to put many miles on it in the years ahead.
I test drove one earlier this week Mark, and I feel the same way. I'm trying to figure out how to sell my wife on the idea...

Guys, did I mention I have more HMMWV tachometers for sale??? I'm trying to turn them into a truck I can drive! [thumbzup]

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you have a lot of tachometers :)

Say, I have an idea, have her talk to my wife. We just made an LMTV drive out to Denver from the Knoxville area. She had a nice time she said! But she flew home. Maybe that was a statement?!?!? (Actually, she had to get back for an appointment she had no control over)

Bob

Last edited:

Montanajed

I would have liked to seen your set up. Those Alaskans are really nice campers. Hope the trip was a good one those are some serious miles!

Montanajed

Alpine44 thanks for the beta. I will have to do a drive by of huffine. I have also seen one in wheat being worked on at a diesel mechanic.

alpine44

Alpine44 thanks for the beta. I will have to do a drive by of huffine. I have also seen one in wheat being worked on at a diesel mechanic.
Yes, Ron's Diesel on 287 has several MVs on the lot. They use a M936 Wrecker for their towing business. When I buried my M1009 in a huge snowdrift at Copper City last February, I asked them for help. Unfortunately, their driver was ill and they would not let me borrow the wrecker for insurance reasons even thought I have a couple hundred miles in the saddle of these trucks. But I am sure they could be talked into giving you a ride in the LMTV.

I'll swing by the place on Huffine today during lunch break and let you know.

dronsen

I have an m1088 heading up to bzn in the next 4 weeks or so for refurbishment. High speed gears will arrive at about same time. Maybe a Pipestone trip is in order. Pm me for details... Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks